Bottom Letter

Bernard found the letter from his aunt at the bottom of a huge stack of letters he started going through once he got a breather from the rest of his duties as head elf, but he thought nothing of said letter as she always wrote heartfelt tidings and he responded by thanking her, sending some Christmas treats home.

Except, this letter was different.

"Jinglesnaps." Bernard read over the letter again, wishing he'd caught it sooner, noting the exact date and time noted in his aunt's letter. Letting out a deep breath, he teleported to the teleportation station, nearly bumping into her as he arrived.

Mindy turned. "Oh. It's you. I thought you weren't going to show. The others..."

"Have already headed off to the dorms?"

"I wouldn't have had a place for me there if you hadn't shown."

"Sorry. I didn't get her letter until today. Normally I'm on top of things."

"Except when it comes to me, right?"

"That..." Bernard frowned. "You're still miffed I'm not a toymaker elf, aren't you."

"Well, yeah."

"Well, I like my job." Which, Bernard did. "Why don't we get you back to the house?"

"How far is it?"

Bernard tilted his head. "It's better to ask how long it will take to get there."

Mindy stared at him as if she didn 't know despite the fact he'd just teleported there. He held out his arm and—Mindy stared. "Oh. That was—"

"Quick."