04. PROTECTIVE SERVICES!

━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━

after your intense days of training (and turmoil), things seemed to suddenly swerve the other way. you and kaeya have been talking more, picking at each other like something more than friends. the training ended with kaeya in defeat, though, especially after you show your excel in all his trials.

jean had sent you and kaeya out to liyue for some friend bonding (especially when the hatred tension had grown ever since you thrown him off that bridge. he got too close, and his cryo element obviously didn't come in handy.) it's oddly silent. kaeya is usually the one inching closer to you, poking at your patience. yet, today, he seems off.

"are you okay, kaeya?" though you aren't too fond of him, he seems to have a lot on his mind. "sorry that jean had to bring us so far. i know we aren't-"

"i think that's what i don't like, y/n," he mentions softly, suddenly stopping. you turn to him briefly, raising an eyebrow. "do you... want to get closer?"

you never thought about it. it causes you to hesitate, unable to look at him as you raise an eyebrow. the grasp on your sword tightens at the thought of you even becoming more than mondstadt crime-fighters, that it scares you.

"um," you stammer a bit, scratching your head with your free hand. "what do you mean by that, kaeya? is there some kind of definition-"

you feel your arm tugged by an icy cold hand, kaeya's panic rising in his eyes as he looks behind you. "y/n, watch out!"

as you both spin away from the small, tiny hydro slime, you feel your weight tip backward. the scream that leaves both of your lips as you trip against your feet increases, your eyes closed tight when you fall.

when the impact of water doesn't hit you, your eyes open. your palms open against the icy layer, kaeya's eyes staring back at you intensely in a heated moment. he saved you both briefly by freezing the tip of the water, and thank god you both weren't able to move—or else it would break.

however, how opposites attract and the friction between you two closes in, your pyro charm starts to light up. your cheeks flush as kaeya inches closer, and your hands warm against the ice.

"y/n—!" you both fall in, your clothes emerged in water. 

as you erupt from the water, you can't help but exhale heavily. kaeya joins you on the other side, grabbing your arm in an attempt to save himself. as you meet eyes, you both can't help but smile.

i guess kaeya can't help but protect the people he loves most.