Seeing Clearly

"Adrien?" Plagg hovered in front of the blonde. There was no response, for his gaze was glued to his phone screen. His lips were parted slightly, eyes wide. "...Adrien? Are you... ok?" 

The boy reread the sentence, repeatedly, like he was expecting it to suddenly change. Marinette Dupain-Chang, Marinette Dupain-Chang, Marinette Dupain-Chang. Were his eyes playing tricks on him? There was no way that Marinette, shy, awkward, clumsy Marinette, could be Ladybug. But the words remained, Already Existing Contact: Marinette Dupain-Chang.

Adrien looked below her name, to her contact photo. A photo he would have never gotten his hands on, if it weren't for Alya. Marinettes hair was pulled up into her classic pigtails, and she wore a bright red kimono that Adrien could only assume, she'd made herself. The trim was gold, and tiny black flowers spread across the fabric. His eyes traveled to her face, where she wore a sassy expression. The photo was most definitely a candid shot. Marinette was wearing a hint of makeup, probably mascara, as it brought attention to her big blue eyes.

Now that he thought of it, she didn't look far off from Ladybug at all in the picture. Especially with the smirk she was giving someone in the room. He squinted, trying to picture a mask on the girl. His face grew hot, and he almost dropped his phone. Maybe... it wasn't so far-fetched after all.

"Ladybug...," He whispered," is Marinette. Marinette is Ladybug.," A smile grew on his face, getting bigger, and bigger until his cheeks hurt. 

"So." Plagg smirked, "Are you done being oblivious?"

Adrien's smile quickly faded, and he smacked his forehead, falling back on his bed,"Oh boy, what's wrong with you now?" The blonde pushed his palms into his eyes, letting out a loud groan.

"Kill me now, Plagg! Just, cataclysm me out of existence already." 

"Why? You know her identity now, just ask her out on a date."

"Wow, great idea Plagg." Adrien said, sarcastically," There's just one problem with that plan."

"And that is...?" The Kwami crossed his arms, raising an eyebrow.

"I call her 'just a friend' like 12 times a week!" He pulled his golden hair, angrily," She probably thinks I don't like her in that way!" 

"To be fair, you didn't until about 5 seconds ago." His owner sat up, glaring at the floating creature.

"Not. Helping." Adrien got up and started pacing the room," I have to tell her that I know her identity. But not as Adrien- I got to do it as Chat Noir! Or else, she might get suspicious..."

"You don't want her to know who you are?" Plagg asked, confused.

"Of course, I do! But not until she's ready. So, I'll tell her next time I see her as Ladybug. But what would I even say to her? Would it be too forward if I just came out and said it? 'Hey love of my life! Turns out I sit in front of you in class! You're totally uncomfortable around me for some reason, but date me anyway!' AGH! Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! I don't want to make her feel uncomfortable..."

Plagg sighed, knowing very well, Adrien was going to be rambling like this all night long. It was a good thing his father, as well as Nathale, was on a business trip, and wouldn't be back till next week. Gabriel would have heard the boy's shenanigans and come in to yell at him to go to sleep.

The only adult in the mansion, besides the cooks and maids, was Gorilla, who's bedroom was downstairs.

The Kwami flew over to his bed, if the blonde was going to be talking his ear off, he might as well try to sleep through it. 

Unsurprisingly, Adrien didn't sleep a wink that night. Sadly, neither did Plagg.