XXXV

"You big, blonde bastard!" Theo shouted in excitement. Hermione giggled as she leaned into Draco's side. The moment they had apparated and walked back into the house, Theo had approached them and demanded to know why they both looked so obscenely happy. Blaise and Pansy were walking through the floo within moments and they announced their engagement to their closest friends. "You kept this a secret?! How did you manage that? We've been watching and waiting!"

"Believe it or not Theo, there are some things I am able to keep from you," Draco chuckled.

"Did anyone know?" Pansy smiled, as she held Hermione's hand, appraising the ring that lay on her finger. "This doesn't look like one of the Malfoy family rings."

"That's because it's not," Draco chuckled, kissing the top of Hermione's head as she looked up at him with the smile he knew would drive away more dementors than any Patronus he would ever be able to conjure. "And only my father and Potter knew."

"I'm sorry did you say that Potter knew?" Theo bellowed, throwing his hands up in the air. Charlie chuckled, shaking his head while he poured everyone drinks. "You went and told Potter and you didn't tell me? ME?!"

"Potter is family to her Theo," Draco rolled his eyes. Hermione leaned into him more. When he had told her that he had gone to speak to Harry before he had proposed, she had been touched by his thoughtfulness. She had never thought that anyone would ever go to such lengths for her, especially Draco who barely had a tolerable relationship with Harry as it was.

"Excuse me! She is MY family. She's my sister."

"You're shit at keeping secrets from her Theo," Blaise chuckled. "Of course he didn't tell you."

"Because I'm a good fucking friend," Theo grumbled crossing his arms over his chest as he pouted.

"Ignore Theo," Pansy spoke, waving him off. "This isn't a family heirloom? You didn't give her the Malfoy engagement ring? Why?"

"Because we are going against tradition and setting our own path," Draco chuckled. "I figured that deserved a new ring."

"I'm sure Lucius loved that," Theo smirked, sipping his drink.

"He actually was very supportive. He said it was poetic."

Hermione smiled looking at the ring on her left hand. After the shock and beauty of the proposal, Draco had explained to her the story of her ring. The deep wine gemstone, almandine garnet, was a jewel that had been locked away in the Black family vault for almost a century. It had belonged to Isla Black, who had been blasted off of the family tree due to falling in love with a muggle. The symbolism of the stone was everything to Hermione. "It's perfect..."

"It's still a family stone heirloom," Draco spoke, taking Hermione's hand from Pansy and kissing her knuckles. "A Black family heirloom."

"Is it a ruby? Very Gryffindor of you," Blaise chuckled, winking at the two of them.

"Almandine Garnet," Draco nodded. "The stone itself symbolizes the unity of passion and serenity. It represents a promise that you will unconditionally love and protect your partner.

"Damn that is... bloody romantic," Theo chuckled.

"I took the stone to a muggle jewel to have set," Draco added.

"A muggle jeweler?" Blaise asked with a raised eyebrow. He was impressed with how thought out Draco had gone with this.

"Yes," Draco nodded. "But my father and I made adjustments to it."

"Adjustments? What does that mean?" Charlie asked curiously. Gently Draco took the ring off her finger to show the inside of the ring. The others peered in closely to get a look at the engraved markings.