1

I look at myself in the mirror, my brownish red eyes shining with excitement. My hair flowing with all it's bright red beauty. I look at the birthday cards on my desk.
'HAPPY 13th BIRTHDAY REBECCA!'
I smiled at the cards. My friends are so nice. Especially-
A knock at my door interrupts my thoughts.
"Come in!" I say calmly, trying to contain my excitement.
The door opens loudly and slams against the wall, making me jump a few inches.
"Good you're here, I have a present for you. We have to be quick though." He says, clearly flustered.
"Are you ok, Dad?" I ask, looking away from my mirror.
He shakes his head, "not until I know your safe. Here," he places a small box in my hand, "open it quickly, we have to leave."
I open it and see a beautiful gold ring, it's got a magnificent ruby embedded in the gold with diamonds surrounding it.
"It's beautiful, Dad." I put it on my index finger and frown, "it's a bit too big."
Dad sighs, "It will fit... One day. It was your mother's ring. Wear this and you will be safe. Come on, before she finds us." He grabs my wrist and we descend the staircase quickly.
"Before who finds us?" I ask irritably.
He doesn't answer so I realize this isn't open for discussion right now.
We reach the forest and he slows us to a stop, "I think we're safe here."
"Did you actually think that? I'm a witch not an idiot." A beautiful female voice says from behind us.
Dad whips round and shields me from her, "only one letter off witch." He snaps. I realize he means bitch.
She pretends to be offended, "ouch. That will leave a mark, and so will this." with the flick of her wrist he flies through the air and into a tree. Dark silver (almost black) magic flies from her finger with every movement.
"Freeze Red. She will hurt you." Dad whispers carefully.
"Stop! Who are you?!" I cry as bravely as possible.
She looks over with a smirk, "Anya. And you must be Rebecca. What a terrible name... Why not something prettier? A prettier name could make up for that destructive face. Maybe Bell, Rihanna... Hm," she places a painted fingernail under my chin and trails it along my face. I pull away instinctively. She thinks for a moment. Suddenly, Anya claps, "I know what is making you so disturbingly ugly! Other than the name of course. It must be that horrid, red hair. I could get rid of it by burning you to a crisp. You will have lovely black hair then. Or no hair at all!" She cackles cruelly. Her beauty is irrelevant if she thinks I'm going to let her wreck my hair.
"Please. Leave her alone." Dad says weakly, his sky blue eyes shining with fear.
Anya rolls her eyes, "you're no fun! Fine, I'll leave your brat alone... For now."
"Thank you!" He runs to me, scooping me into a bear hug.
She frowns with a huge grin hidden beneath, "Dear, didn't you hear me? I said I'd leave her alone. Not you." She lifts here hand and Dad is meters in the air.
"Put him down!" I demand angrily.
"Aw. Is the monster scared?" Anya asks with a baby voice. I can see her struggling with the pain I'm mentally causing her with my power.
I ignore her name-calling, "Not of you!" I growl fiercely, throwing my hands in front of me. A burst of red shoots from my hands towards her.
Instinctively she throws an object in the way... My dad.
The shining red cloud hits my father and he screams in agony.
"Look at that, you're just as dark as me! Oh that must hurt, you killed your own father!" Anya cries cheerfully as Dad falls in a crumpled unnatural form, his eyes glazed over. His breath is no longer there.
"Mum, what's going on? Red?" I familiar boy asks. I only get a glimpse of his black eyes. Or are they gold? I see this boy holding a bunch of red roses. I'm to busy running over to dad to care.
I fall on my knees and scream, "DAD! No, it's all my fault."
Shouts came from the familiar boy next to Anya.