ᴇᴍᴘᴛʏ

G..

G...

'G !' the voice yelled at the other end of the call.

'Huh?' she answered awakening from the silence of the empty station platform. Darkened clouds quietened the sun, arranging themselves for the scheduled downpour.

'Are you okay?' he asked her.

Her shadow fading away, she looked down at her feet balancing itself on the brink of the platform. One step ahead and she would fall on the track hurting herself. Looking around at the voidness of the drama, she stepped back and sat down on one of the benches, keeping her baggage aside. 

'I'm okay' she said with a short heave of breath.

'Don't worry G' another voice called out to her in the call. G questioned her familiarity with the voice. 'I'm sorry.. who's this?'. 

'That's Amaya.. I have added her on the conference call, you haven't talked to her before?' he asked introducing his wife to G. 

'No Dev, this is the first time' she said, 'Hi Amaya, I'm sorry I didn't recognize you..'

'Hey, no problem. Are you carrying the list of items I sent you through Dev yesterday?' Amaya concernfully asked her.

'Yeah, I am.. thank you for the help guys. I think I'm causing you a lot of trouble..' she blurted out of guilt, crumpling the reservation ticket in her right hand.

'There's no trouble in helping you out' he assured, 'in fact I'm just worried that I will not be able to be there to help you directly.. but Amaya will be there'.

'Exactly. We are all waiting to meet you here G' Amaya said in a warm tone.

G's heart stopped for a minute allowing her to reminisce the weirdest ever turn that her life had taken, and the realities of unbearable truths she had faced because of it. An announcement being made about the arrival of the train in a few minutes, keyed the organ to beat again.

'Okay then,' Dev alerted, 'I know Amaya is there to take care of you but... be safe.. and most importantly be happy, okay? I will be waiting to meet you in Chennai again G..'.

'Love you, Dev. Will miss you too' G responded calmly.

After a momentary pause, the three of them ended the call. G reluctantly opened WhatsApp and scrolled down a little to see that person with an empty display picture again. Hearing the hoot of the commencing train, she switched off her phone in a jiffy.

The train halted and she got inside her compartment without any competiton. As she took her luggage inside, she looked at the empty railway station out amusingly and thought, 'so unusual..'.

She walked through the pathway amidst the sounds of children wailing, a couple arguing passively and the smell of morning coffee. Finally finding her seat, she rested her luggage below it and opened the window anticipating to receive guests from the enveloping grey curtains above. The train set to motion, pushing her forward. 

'Careful!' a man next to her called out, pointing to her. She nodded her head in awkwardness and seated herself on the one-seater. Just then, realizing what he had pointed to, she looked down at her bulged abdomen. 'You are growing in size, aren't you..' she said and pulled her sweater down to cover it further.

The man next to her rested his head on his neck pillow and continued taking his nap. She looked out to the station for one last time and breathed in with the thought of escape from chaos, closing her tensed eyes. Resting her elbow on the window pane, she covered her eyes with her palm, breathing out a gush of air for some rest.

Suddenly, someone's phone ringed. It was the phone of the same man, but it was not an ordinary ringtone.. it was a song.

Her song.

Theendum dhinam, thendral manam,

Koondhal izhai, venneer mazhai,

Un kaadhalal ennul nooru kanaa...

(Teasing day, fragrance of the breeze

The dampness in your hair, a warm rain

Your love awakens in me, a hundred dreams...)

With that said, rain fell, train shifted tracks and the empty consciousness of her washed away dreams welled up her heart.

TO BE CONTINUED

_________________________________________

Please do vote, if you liked the chapter !

Thank you for reading ! ❤