ꜱᴡᴇᴇᴛ ᴏʀ ɴᴏᴛ?

Life comes to full circle. I have heard not just this saying from my father, who says pretty much everything under the sky to me. But, this one is different; I get back to the starting point at the end of every big incident in my life. The problem is... you never know whether you're at the start or, the end.

It was around 7 a.m. when I landed here. The pastel-coloured buildings (with skylights mostly), most of them modular cottages and some violet-coloured land blooms took me approximately ten minutes to reach here: Amaya's maternity clinic. The clinic solely owned in all terms by Amaya is apparently named after Dev, which is quite an irony.

Now, as I sit before the superfluously majestic rolling-chair that is Amaya's, I need to brush up on my reasoning. I need to remind myself the steps I've come down to reach this moment, this day, this place; I might deflect again. My phone's alive one more time, but this is a personal call. It is a message.

Dev: Have you reached?

Dev, a fellow engineer prior to mess-dinners. I couldn't have surpassed the last month without him.

G: Yeah, hour over. Aren't you in a meeting right now?

A group of five in white robes are entering the clinic. Three men, two women. Rushing and talking amongst themselves in the direction of the room Dhrithi and her baby were.

Dev: You sound like you are in one. Anshul's morning dose..

G: Figured it.

Dev: Genius.

G: How are things there?

Dev: Angel at duty is worried.. he wants you back.. when are you planning to return?

G: Angel, his face. Why wouldn't he be happy to take credit for the work I take 14 hours to do.. with all that back pain too..

Dev: I know.. so, when are you coming back?!

G: I'll make it as soon as possible.. 3 days maximum. Making up for my absence by working 16 hours now.. my back is about to break.

Dev: Dude, hand over at least half of it to me..

G: Dev...

Dev: Okay! But don't stress yourself like this.. the talk is positive here future AM..

G: Don't jinx it.. by the way, are mom and dad looking for me?

Dev: No. But they might, if they know that you've disappeared.

G: They would be really mad at me.

Dev: You'll be dead meat.

G: Right, Amaya's coming.. bye.

Dev: Bye.

As I tuck my phone in the sling pouch and stare obliviously at the baby blue ceiling, the sound of chatter in the hallway intensifies. Amaya swings open the glass door, and I get a proper sight of her for the first time.

'Hey!' Amaya greets me with a wide smile. 'Good to see you G. Welcome to our home.'

That is the happiest someone has greeted me in ages. It is too much change for me to accept that I start scraping the again-pastel label of the cup in my hand.

'Hi Amaya, Its nice meeting you too.. Dev keeps talking about you all the time. I'm glad I finally met you.'

'He does? What does he say, he doesn't say things like 'she wakes me up in the middle of the night because of a cat video she saw' right?' Amaya asked.

'Well, you did now..' I say awkwardly. Amaya grinned as she made space on the table for the report.

'Why haven't you had your coffee?' Amaya asked me, looking at the cup in my hands, supported by both palms.

Don't know if it was reflex; but I immediately put up the cup on her table, noticing the italic S circumscribed in a circle just then.

'Umm.. I don't drink coffee..' I confessed.

'Oh.. you can't even try?' Amaya plummeted. I nodded my head negatively; the thought of coffee made me kind of sick.

'That's unfortunate. Juan makes the best coffee in Dieu. He has a special way of making it. If you ever change your mind, consider his shop.' She said as the cup made its way to her.

Coffee is going to be coffee, even if it is going to be the best in the world, isn't it?

Amaya flipped the pages of the pregnancy report and looked up at me.

'Congratulations, I'm sorry for not saying this as soon as you came in.'

Congratulations. A word anyone would avoid, in my case. I can't help but force myself to a smile. She utters a few medical terms which I've already heard from other doctors I consulted. I say doctors, because, I've been to one every month. Neither of them proposed a second meeting.

'As per your previous reports, the baby and you are fine. But as per Dev's reports you seem to be working too much. G, it is fine to work.. but not as much as it can affect you.. okay?' She said her voice still calm. I nod.

'We'll take a couple of tests tomorrow.. until then you can take a look at the place.. and get lots of rest! No phones!' She warned, her eyes arrowed at my hands.

Did she really mean it? No way. I was accompanied to my room by a maid named Lassie. Laying back on an armchair in front of a pure white casement window, I threw a look at Lassie who pushed my bags into the compartment under the bed.

'Breakfast will be ready in 30 minutes. Dining hall.' She smiled and closed the door.

The idea of being in a neo-classical style room like this, had me nervous and excited at the same time. I felt relaxed as I stared at the lingering mild grey clouds, forgetting my motive again. Diversion.

I have to get back to my mail right now.