Chapter 9: Petunia

"However, at the same time, I don't want you to understand."

The wind was howling from all sides as if it wanted to crush me all at once. In a whirl of magic, I managed to lift my eyes and squeeze my entire body. I stopped breathing and opened my mouth as soon as the next opportunity presented itself. But there was no sound.

My master had become a cloud of white dust in the air. As if a creature created from nothing returns to its original state. From the tips of the fingers and toes, the skin is wilting.

Because I couldn't approach any closer to him, I just stood there staring at the man who was rapidly losing his shape.

"Please don't give me that look."

For the last time, a shattered voice rang in my ear in the glittering dawn.

"Isn't it normal for parents to pass away before their children?"

He entirely vanished from view.
As his final act, he smiled at me, perhaps a farewell. My master's demise, the demise of the gentlest of the four mountain spirits, whose death looked unworthy.

I stood there for a long time, speechless at what I had just witnessed. It was the first time I had considered it. However, I appeared to have become a lost youngster alone in the water.

The white powder on the floor started to scatter. It wasn't until then that I understood I'd been completely abandoned.

"Isn't it normal for parents to pass away before their children?"

That was the point at which the voice that had been ringing in my ears came to mind. My mouth erupted in a gloomy laugh.

"Parents?" I thought aloud as if anyone could hear me. "To murder yourself in front of your so-called child. What sort of parent are you?"

Something screamed inside of me, but I pushed it away. I was fighting so hard that I could taste the blood on my lips. My eyes were flooded with heated tears. But, despite my best efforts, I was unable to tolerate it as my body sunk into place. The hot liquid was dripping down the palm of the hand.

"Don't be ridiculous." I whispered, "Did you think I was your child? I've never once thought of myself as your child."

My master expressed his fear of being abandoned. "You will want to die," he said. I couldn't understand why, as I'd never experienced the pain of losing someone so dear to me.

I don't understand, nor would I ever want to understand.

In front of my father's remains, I cried for a long period without eating or sleeping. I didn't shed a tear when I learned that a member of my blood family had died. That's because I'd never met them before their death, but I couldn't handle it this time.

Several days and nights have passed.
Since then, a lot of time has gone and I practically forgotten about it.

After the tears had dried up. I was able to gather my emotions, stand up, and expel all of the white ashes from the tower's floor. And for a while, I finally left the tower after seeing an empty place.

What I had been struggling to think about, in what way I could possibly distract Kyung Yun was immediately answered the moment Mrs. Taluipa uttered those words to me.

"Yes. He is the reincarnation of your master."

That was enough for me to confirm my suspicion that Kyung Yun, like the past would once again kill my master's family to torture him and in the end, make the same choice. Perhaps he knew all along how I have waited for my master's reincarnation and my goal to protect him in any way possible. Perhaps that's the reason he would do that again.