Betrayal

Lorelay kneels and leans forward to fill the water satchels

Lorelay kneels and leans forward to fill the water satchels. The water is icy and stings the skin on her hands. It, too, lets her feel more awake, alive even. As the first satchel is full, she closes it and reaches for the second one. They have three in total and managed well so far. Her thoughts glide to Geralt on his scouting trip. He didn't give her the impression he wanted to leave. She doesn't know what on earth got him to then, well, except for Derano, he can be persistent. But the Witcher usually isn't someone who could be persuaded to do something he doesn't want to. Of course, he worries about the attackers, Lorelay saw it in his eyes. He worries and that not for him. It gives her a warm feeling to have someone care. Not that nobody cares about her, there are lots of people doing just that...but somehow, it often is their job to do so. Not with Geralt though. As she reaches for the last satchel to fill, she hears shouting. It comes from the camp. She jumps to her feet; the satchel slips from her hand. Then, something clangs, echoing through the woods. Again, and again.

Lorelay leaves the satchels, rushing back. She knows that sound, it haunts her sleep. Metal on metal, a fight must take place. As she reaches the campsite, she stops short. Her knights are fighting each other, shouting, and clashing their swords together. What happened? Lorelay's fingers grab the handle of the dagger at her side, her eyes sweep around the place they spent the night at. She can't make out anyone else.

"Stop this madness!" Mikael shouts,

"We're here to protect her, how could you!" He cries out in pain as Derano's sword slices his arm. His opponent earns a cut as well. Lorelay doesn't see any other way as to step up herself, that should help them come to their senses.

"Stop!" she yells and jumps from her hiding place. They look at her, swords lifted mid-blow.

"No, Lorelay, run!" Mikael shouts at her. Derano takes the chance and slices his sword along the side of Mikael's throat. He cries in pain and presses a hand on the wound, blood pours between his fingers. The sword slips from his fingers. He looks at Lorelay again.

"Run," he says and sinks to his knees. Derano shoves him on his back, before he whirls around charges at the lady. She stays still, then she dodges past Derano, running to Mikael's side.

"What have you done!" she yells at the older knight, tears prick at her eyes,

"Why would you do that?" Mikael coughs and spits blood. Lorelay looks around for something to stop the bleeding with, taking some leaves to press them on the wound.

Then, she is ripped backwards. She lands on her back a few feet from Mikael. Derano stands between them, sword still drawn. He points it at her.

"You'll do exactly as I say, little princess," he barks and nods at the dagger she clings to tightly.

"Throw it away," as she doesn't react right away, he points his sword at Mikael,

"Or do you want me to kill him for good?" His threat lets her loosen the dagger from her belt and drop it. For a moment she thinks about charging at him but what is a dagger against a sword? And Mikael's life is to be spared. She sits up, slowly rising to her feet.

"Good girl," Derano says and nudges Mikael with his foot.

"Leave him be!" she demands, straightening to her full height. Derano glares at her and lets out a laugh. He steps back from Mikael and sheaths his sword. Lorelay's gaze falls to the ground where the dagger lies not far from her feet. But she can't even move more than half the way as Derano charges at her. One of his hands wrap around her throat, shoving her backwards until her back hits a tree. He towers over her, his other hand trails down her braid.

"Now, I'm to deliver you to someone who likes to wear black," he says,

"He doesn't want you to marry the prince." He smirks cruelly and presses her down.

"I thought better of you," she utters out, tears blurring her sight. She blinks angrily. His hot breath smells foul, and it feels uncomfortable on her skin. She kicks out but he straddles her, and his weight is too much for her to take on, especially without enough air to breathe. Her eyes land on the dagger again. Derano notices. He barks a laughter and presses her down further until she nearly lays on the ground. She is forced follow his movement, or she would not get any air.

That is when she remembers Geralt's training and him giving the dagger to her because a knife isn't enough out in the wild. The knife... Suddenly, she feels the metal in her boot where she keeps it. She lets one hand fall to the ground while she tries to keep Derano at least a little on distance with the other. He doesn't notice her movement. Slowly, her fingers inch to the blade. Roach neighs aggressively.

"Why?" she asks the knight, her voice sounding squeaky,

"Why are you doing this?" Derano thinks she is going to give up and loosens his hold on her throat. She takes a deep breath, ignoring the searing pain from where his fingers dig in her skin.

"You really don't know anything, do you?" he counters. She reaches further into her boot, finally getting hold of the knife.

"Well, I know that..." she pulls the knife out and thrusts it into the side of his throat as deep as possible. Blood splutters over her face but she keeps holding on. Derano stumbles, his hands grabbing hers, but she keeps the knife at its place with all the strength she can muster.

That I've to wait until you don't breathe anymore," she finishes with a whisper. Derano fights for air, but his eyes roll back, and he falls forward, more blood pools from the wound and seeps into her dress. Lorelay has barley any strength left to free herself from the weight.

The body is suddenly thrown off her. Geralt stands over Derano's form on the ground. The knife is still embedded into the knight's throat, and he fights to stay awake.

"Did he touch you?" Geralt growls, his deep voice laced with anger. He doesn't look at Lorelay, his hateful stare directed at the knight. She is only able to stare at him, shaking her head slightly. Geralt gazes at her for a moment, then turns back to Derano, drawing his sword.

"Good," he says and finishes him with one powerful stride,

"Else, he would've had the most terrible death I can possible bring him."

He sheaths his sword, turning to her. As he finds the spot empty, he freezes until he hears her hoarse voice mumbling. He whips around to find her at Mikael's side.

"You'll be alright," she says, pressing leaves on the wound on his throat. Mikael's breaths are shallow, his chest barley moving.

"I'm good if you're safe," the knight whispers to her,

"Means, I...did my job."

"No!" she counters,

"I won't let you go, not like that." Tears fall from her eyes as she looks up to Geralt,

"Please...what can we do?"