The Bard

At the castle, Geralt is brought to the healing chambers

At the castle, Geralt is brought to the healing chambers. Lorelay insists to help the healers. Jalen wants to argue at first, but she says that she owes the Witcher her life, he saved her multiple times. As the prince refuses to leave her side again, he accompanies her.

In the chambers, Geralt lays on his side on a makeshift bed, the healers already got rid of his blouse and are taking the arrow out. Lorelay kneels beside the bed, helping to hold the man down as one of the healers sucks the poison from the wound, spitting it in a bowl handed to him. They clean the wound and give orders about herbs to be mixed into medicine. Geralt must drink and inhale it. At first, the healers refuse to mix all the needed herbs, but the lady threatens to do it herself if they won't do anything to save the Witcher.

Geralt is delirious and asks for her.

"I'm here," she coos, stroking his hand. She covers him with a blanket and rights his pillow. He takes her hand in his, finally closing his eyes, welcoming the sleep. Jalen watches the soft touches of the two, it gives his heart a sting. He understands, this Geralt of Rivia saved the lady and protected her along the past days. Of course, they have grown together.

Lorelay checks on Mikael, then returns to Geralt to wash his face. Jalen stepped out for a moment. Geralt stirs from his slumber.

"Lorelay...?" he asks to assure himself that she is well and safe.

"I'm here," she repeats quietly, dapping his forehead with a cool rag,

"Sleep, you need to rest." She smiles gently as his eyes flutter open for a moment to gaze into hers.

"I need to tell you-I've-you're imp-"he is cut off by Jalen entering the room. He changed out of his armor. Lorelay smiles at the prince before turning her attention back to the Witcher.

"You...what?" she asks but he drifted back to sleep.

"My Lady Lorelay, you should eat and warm up," Jalen suggests,

"Your chambers are prepared, and I took the freedom to order the maids to prepare you a hot bath." As she just looks at him, he smiles warmly.

"I insist you take care of yourself as well," he says. She nods, she must respect his and his parents' hospitality. Jalen waves a maid over and tells her to watch over the resting Witcher. Lorelay draws her hands from his and rises.

"Please inform me of any changes in his condition," she asks the maid and lets Jalen lead her out of the healing chambers and through the castle to the rooms that will be her home from now on.

"Milady, I didn't have the opportunity to tell you how relieved I am to find you unharmed," Jalen admits,

"We searched everywhere for you, and I-we worried greatly." He stops and takes one of her hands in his, he draws a rose from behind his back and offers is to her. She smiles at the gesture.

"Thank you, Your Highness," she says, taking the delicate flower. The two gaze into each other's eyes for a moment. Then, he kisses her hand and opens the door for her. Immediately, four maids rise and curtsy.

"Please let me know any wish," the prince says,

"Your maids are here to read them from your eyes...and so am I." He smiles again, bows his head, and turns to leave.

"I'll leave you to it," he says. Lorelay looks at the rose in her hand, a blush coating her cheeks. All this feels strange after the ordeals of the past, and her heart has no idea where to turn.

The maids rush around their new lady and she doesn't really know what happens. She gets rid of her stained clothes in the washing room, the maids taking them away immediately. One maid opens her messy braid and leads her to the bathtub. The water is steaming and flower petals swim on the surface. She gets in and her muscles are finally allowed to relax. The maids scrub all the dirt and blood away, using sweet soaps and oils. Finally, they leave her to relax a little more in peace.

When she leaves the water, she is met by a warm towel. The maids help her to get dressed in warm undergarments and a beautiful blue dress with silver ornaments that let her hair shine even more golden. They comb her hair and braid some strands back. The good souls pursue her to eat. Lorelay does but her mind keeps wandering and wondering about her future. She doesn't want to rest, so the maids bring her a new cloak. It is coloured ochre, something between yellow and green, a golden tone. It is thick and warm and has a large cape. To close it, it possesses golden nobs on which are imprinted the coat of arms of her house and the prince's – a sign of the unity that will form between them. It is a nice thought, but Lorelay can't smile, she will express her thankfulness another time. Finally, the four let her leave, accompanied by a knight. She wanders around the castle aimlessly, the young knight telling her about it as she prefers to stay silent.

By nightfall, she hears someone sing. A song that she never heard before, but she knows the words. She picks up her pace. Geralt told her about the song that a bard has written about him. Toss a coin to your Witcher... She finds a young bard, wandering in the hallway with his lute, winking at the one or another lady.

"Excuse me, sire," she calls out as she nears him. He stops in his doing and answers while turning.

"Jaskier, at your service, the one and only. What can I-" he cuts himself of as he lays eyes on her,

"Oh my, such beauty." He stares for a moment, the knight resting a hand on the handle of his sword. The bard shakes his head as if to awaken from a dream.

"Forgive me, my lady, I was taken by surprise," he says. She pays no interest in his praise.

"You travelled with Geralt of Rivia, then?" she asks. Jaskier blushes slightly and bows awkwardly.

"Indeed, that's when I wrote the song about him," he answers,

"And I like to refer to myself as his friend. But why are you asking those questions, my lady?" A smile flickers over her face for the first time since their arrival at this castle.

"He's here, and you would do me a favour if you stayed at his side and watched over him for a while," she says,

"I'm sure he wants to see a known and friendly face when he awakens." Jaskier straightens at the word favour and nods along to her words.

"Your wish is my command, my lady," he answers.

"Then follow me," she demands and walks on to lead him to the healing chambers. It is a great relief for her to have someone to watch over her Witcher. She would gladly do it herself, but she must greet the king and queen properly and thank them for their help and hospitality. And she must pay attention to the prince, he is her betrothed after all. Jaskier follows suit and walks alongside the beautiful woman with the knight trailing behind.

"You're the Lady Lorelay, I heard about the attack, and I must express that the whole castle's relieved to have you here safe and sound," he speaks,

"But what happened to our White Wolf?" And she tells him that part of a rather long story. Jaskier listens intently, taking the information like a sponge to be sure to write a song about the heroic safe of Lady Lorelay...and probably another few about her, her beauty, and her marriage. However, he is curious about why his friend took to accompany her through the woods and keep her safe. It is not his way to do such things, really. A smirk forms on his lips at the thought that the Witcher is probably bewitched by her beauty, fell under her spell for a change.