Christmas Hijinks

a/n: this song has been stuck in my head for the past month so now i have to inflict it on all of you. that's the rules.

TYLER:

It's Christmas time, though it certainly doesn't feel like it. Björkman left a week ago to go skiing on Abraxis III with his family, so I'm all alone in my dorm.

The Legion has a two-week mandatory shore leave that begins tomorrow, but I'll be back as soon as possible to study. I'm almost in my final year, and it's important I do my best. Scar thinks I'm crazy, but Cat understands. I've worked my whole life for this, I'm not letting it go when I'm so close to my dream; the perfect squad, galaxy-wide fame.

The dorm is plain, with my pinboard containing only a Legion poster and a few photos. 

I walk over to one in particular, smiling as I unpin it. 

The photo is from last Shore Leave, and I find it hard to believe it was an entire year ago. It was hot outside, and Scar had convinced Cat to buy a blue tube top earlier, which she hated, even though I thought she looked quite nice.

That night, we'd played truth or dare in the hotel room we stayed in, and Scar had dared her to wear it for 24 hours.

The next day came, even hotter than the last, but Cat being as stubborn as she is, wore her black leather jacket all day.

We walked around a bit, then went to get frozen yoghurt. I'd wanted ice cream, but Scar was insistent that "that crap isn't nearly as good as yoghurt, and fro-yo's...mildly healthy too!"

I don't know if you've ever met my twin sister, but there's no arguing with her. 

We were just sitting outside, and Cat was starting to overheat in the jacket, so she took it off. Scar pulled out her uniglass and took a selfie, Cat glaring at her the whole time.

I stifle a giggle and set the photo down on my desk.

Then there's a knock on the door.

Before I can open it, It bursts open and Scarlett walks in, all joy and Christmas spirit. She's followed by Cat, who's straining under the weight of 3 boxes, and I rush to help her. 

"Beebro, this dorm is seriously depressing. Where's all the Christmas cheer?"

"He hasn't had time, Scar. The final exams were only 2 weeks ago! He's probably been refreshing the Academy webpage every six minutes since then." Cat smiles at me. "Though that's exactly what I've been doing..." she adds as an afterthought. 

"Whatever. It's the holidays, it should feel like it! I get that you're stressed, but let's just have some fun and decorate, and then we can help you pack for Cohen IV." Scar replies, looking at the empty suitcase on my floor.

...

"TY! THIS WAS MY GOOD TEE-SHIRT TOO!"

"Well, how was I supposed to know the flour would make a cloud?"

"I don't know, maybe because THAT'S WHAT FLOUR ALWAYS DOES?"

Cat's glaring at me, arms folded over her chest, frowning. I shoot her a sheepish grin. 

"I didn't know?" I offer, and she turns back to beating the eggs.

"Fine. I'll get you a new one, and I'm really sorry."

She offers me a final glare and starts combining the dry and wet ingredients.

A moment later, I can feel flour being dropped down my back.

...

THIRD-PERSON :

Down the corridor, in the room he doesn't have to share, Finian De Seel is frantically scribbling Christmas cards. 

Well, as frantically as you can in zero-gee.

In his defence, it's not his fault he forgot that he was even going back to the station until his grandparents called him. Now he's tasked with the job of writing Christmas cards and wrapping presents for the thousands of relatives he seems to possess.

"Was Joy's kid Alisha or Alison?

 And Dariel's brother's called Fisher, right? 

I could've sworn there was a Thomas somewhere along the line..."

"Oh, screw it." He mutters, drenching the family tree in coffee.

"I'll just get them all the same."

...

Approximately 56 doors away, Zila Madran is trying to hack Unipedia to change incorrect information about the equations used to calculate fold travel.

She has no concerns about Shore Leave as she will be staying here, at Aurora Academy.

She has permission to stay on campus, where she will be alone except for teachers who choose to stay and the occasional janitor.

She intends to spend this holiday season doing the same thing she always does: waiting around for exam marks and studying.

If people paid attention to her, they might call her a nerd.

But few know of Zila Madran, content with memorising equations instead of friend's names.

And even fewer care.

...

Meanwhile, Kaliis Gilwraeth, Firstson of Laeleth Idraban Gilwreath, is practising combat techniques for when he leaves for training camp tomorrow.

He directs his fury at the punching bag instead of others, and he is especially full of rage these holidays. He hates his family, his life, the path forged by the Unbroken. He wants to distance himself from all of that as much as possible.

Every Christmas, he is sent a letter detailing attacks and personal events of the year, and the same thing is always at the bottom;

His father's (though father is a loose term) contact details, in the hope he might register.

And every year, it ends up in the recycler.

...

A/N This pained me to write.

Merry Christmas all of you, and if you don't celebrate then have a happy holidays! 

I'll probably update soon

<3 Aly 🎄