of dust and broken wings (fairy AU)

I...I have no explanation for this. I don't know how I thought of it, but I thought of it. Enjoy!

...

Through all her ten years on the earth, Zila Madran had never believed in fairies. She thought that believing in something you could not see or hear or touch, or that there was no scientific evidence for, was foolish. She could not see a point in creatures whose entire purpose was to laugh and provide joy.

Her godmother, whom she had lived with since she was born, thought differently. And so, for much of her early life, her evenings were spent reading fairy stories and botany books from the heavy pile on her bedside table.

Zila loved to go on walks in the forest, but not for exercise. No, she loved the botany. She would carefully examine every leaf, collect every new flower and marvel at the butterflies when they flew close.

It was a walk like any other when Zila stumbled across the clearing in the woods. Entranced by the new atmosphere and weary from the long walk, she did not notice the unnatural way the grass sparkled, instead making her way over to one of the more peculiar things she had seen in her lifetime; a ring of purple mushrooms.

Zila could hardly believe her eyes. She wandered into the centre of the ring, and heard tinkling laughter, like a bell ringing.

She looked around quickly before sitting down right in the middle of the circle to get a better look, and then she heard it again. That same high pitched noise. Again, she glanced around the clearing, then turned back to the mushrooms. She was about to pick one up when she remembered something her godmother had told her long ago:

"Unnatural colours in the woods can be dangerous. Only touch something once if you are unsure."

Zila figured it was better to be safe than sorry, so she poked at the mushroom for barely a second, drawing her hand back quickly.

As if it couldn't get any more odd, the mushrooms started glowing! Every one of them lit up a bright white. Zila hadn't read about these before, and she was certainly worried about what would possibly be happening.

Then, she felt herself shrinking. It was a strange ordeal, shrinking, like she was falling inside herself.

...

"Isn't she ever going to wake up?" A high pitched voice asked. "She might be hurt, we have to give her time" another responded, in the kind of tone that made Zila think of toffee. "I know that, but she looks so friendly!" The first one said.

Zila sat up, rubbing her eyes, and was immediately swarmed with a million questions and bright colours, giving her a headache so severe that she had to lay down again. She could hear the second voice frantically shushing. 

She sat up again.

"Where....am I?"

- - -

Hey ppl!

So I haven't updated in like...a millenium (between school, reading and extracurriculars, I haven't had a bunch of time to write), so sorry about that!

Lemme know if you want a part two.

I promise the next chapter of A Sky Full Of Ghosts will be updated soon.

Until then,

Aly <3