Chapter Twenty-Seven

F O R  M A R Y A N N, it felt like it had been forever since she and the prince shared time together in seclusion

F O R  M A R Y A N N, it felt like it had been forever since she and the prince shared time together in seclusion. Every time she attempted to complain he'd brush her aside and briefly mention how busy he'd been.

At meals, his attention would be all for her. As of late, his attention had not been on her, but instead with King James and her father, Barclay. From what she hardly overheard, there were issues within some of the villages of Darling that needed to be solved quickly or else a revolution would take place.

She understood helping resolve issues was a part of his duties. She only wished he'd pay some mind to her: ask how she had slept, or how her day had been. But alas, nothing of such was asked of her.

Only a few weeks ago, Maryann inserted herself into conversation to make her opinions heard. They were once appreciated and the lords and ambassadors surrounding her listened. She was beginning to get overlooked, just as her mother was ignored. Everyone generally listened when Maryann spoke. As of recently, her voice had been casted aside.

Not only by the prince, but everyone.

Looks of jealousy were often casted across the table to Louelle who sat beside Dane. They'd talk amongst one another in hushed whispers, constantly laughing. They were oblivious to the conversations happening around them.

Maryann supposed she should have been grateful for Dane's reappearance. He was at least present to distract Louelle and potentially keep her away from Thatcher. The courtship Maryann and the prince had was important for Maryann's image - to show her parents she was capable of marrying someone of such status.

She was aware of the hurt the arrangement - and most of her actions - caused her younger sister. They weren't ever close, Maryann always keeping Louelle at an arm's length. It was done purposefully so Louelle would not have to grow up in Maryann's shadow; so the younger sister would flourish on her own without the pressures of their parents and the society in which they lived.

Maryann, much like Thatcher, did not have much say in their forced relationship. Of course, she wished to marry a man with riches beyond galore, but she never wished for it to be Thatcher. The two were never well acquainted, and being in a courtship with him was never a thought in her mind. She was not naive to believe there weren't more than platonic feelings between Louelle and the prince. Since they were the age of twelve, she suspected feelings were beginning to develop.

She was snooping through Louelle's things - as she normally had done - and came across a small tote of flower crowns the prince made for Louelle. Louelle saved every single one. And it warmed Maryann's heart. She then realized Thatcher was more than a friend to Louelle and the feelings they had for one another were anything but platonic.

She was sure Thatcher would have been the one Louelle would marry.

At first, she declined the proposition of the arrangement. She and the prince, as aforementioned, were never well acquainted. She only curtsied and greeted him as a formality, a sign of respect for the royal family. She assumed all would be well with her denying it, but then a few days passed.