Chapter Twenty-Eight

" T H E  Q U E E N is inside waiting for you, Lady Louelle," William Albernathy, who was stationed outside of Queen Dione's quarters, told her with a smile

Louelle was called to meet with the queen by one of Queen Dione's servants. With the harvest festival right around the corner, Louelle was sure the queen wished to have a status report on her dress. It was nearly finished. There were only a few more stitchings which needed to be done until the project was complete. It was the longest she had taken on a project, but only because she wished for the queen to wear nothing but the best.

In the times where she would need a break, Louelle began to design a dress of her own for the harvest festival. 

Dane, when he'd sit with her in the sewing room, would loom over her shoulder. He was impressed with the design. He knew the dresses she wore every day were created by her, but her work had only gotten more impressive the longer he sat with her. 

Louelle often liked to be alone when she would do her work, but Dane had been a nice distraction for her wandering mind.

Since exploding on Thatcher regarding her feelings of being neglected, she had not heard from him for several more days. Although she was able to feel his eyes on her in the dining hall, she refrained from looking in his direction. She was upset with him and wanted him to know it. Making things better was something he needed to do.

But he hadn't yet done so. She told him not to come to her room, but she didn't think he actually would have listened. Yes, she needed her space, however she needed him to step up in their relationship. It was hard enough to be his secret and only see him when the night fell. She hadn't even received that.

"What is there in your hands, Lady Louelle?" William asked, pulling Louelle away from her running thoughts.

She blinked down at the green fabric in her hand. 

"Oh, this?" She cleared her throat. "It is silly, really. I had extra fabric from Queen Dione's dress and decided to make her a cape." Louelle ran her hand along the cape. A small smile rested on her face. "A cape may make anyone appear and feel powerful. The queen deserves to feel some of that power. Do you agree?"

William stared down at the green fabric Louele was petting. 

"That is a lovely color. Queen Dione would look spectacular wearing it." He scoffed and smiled bashfully. "Then again, the queen would look spectacular wearing anything."

Louelle stared at William for a moment, analyzing his words and expressions. She slowly grinned.

"Mister Albernathy," she said in a teasing tone. "Do you fancy the queen?"

"Nearly everyone does, Lady Louelle. She is adored by the entire castle."

Louelle lightly laughed and shook her head. "That is not what I mean, Mister Albernathy." She gave him a knowing look. "Do you fancy the queen?"