004. Here to Stay..

Wendy's snores may be loud and terrifying, but when her laughter gets loud, it is frankly a siren's song, carried from across a serene sea in the dreamscape of a sky filled with the foam clash of warm and cold colors

Wendy's snores may be loud and terrifying, but when her laughter gets loud, it is frankly a siren's song, carried from across a serene sea in the dreamscape of a sky filled with the foam clash of warm and cold colors. Regardless of the place it sung in, Peter surely started believing her laughter was a power worth noting down on his list, still crammed under a hem of his suit. It was just too contagious, like the sort of virus trapped in the vaccines that fight back all the nasty things, such as the grime on the walls of a downtown boutique, or the overall shadowed dirt of each and every scattered box, tossed and cornered, broken and torn.

Even the mannequins seemed to be laughing along with Wendy Weber, though that was by far a creepier detail to acknowledge in the dark.

Either way, it's been a long time since Peter has been able to notice such an innocent laughter, he believed. Were it not for the escapade before Universe 2709, he was sure he would have never even regained control over that ability to enjoy the little things. After being angry at the world for so long, all of a sudden, the whole game board switched and Peter Parker was the exuberance finding happiness in everything.

It fit perfectly into place, because there was nothing more disheartening than being completely corrupted by sadness and molten rage in a place as awful as the one they were in. Their jokes were making the barricaded shop they broke into seem a little brighter than it truly was. In reality, it held that putrid green hue, barely lit up in the range of a flashlight, but to them, it was almost the equivalent of truly being out for a stroll to the mall.

Wendy was posted on one of the still standing boxes, tasked as a light holder while Peter scavenged for some wearable clothes hopefully left behind. The air in the middle of NYC had a toxicity high above the standards human bodies could sustain, so Wendy lent the filtering mask to him, while she simply tied her scarf around her face, to cover anything under the bridge of her nose, while the fluttering edges left hanging down were tucked inside the taller collar of her shirt. It wasn't doing much, this improvisation of hers, but it was much better than nothing at all.

"Oh, look at this," Peter exclaimed after rising half his body from the darkness of a box he's been going into, bending over its edge to search... or at least feel with his hands something in it apart from odd items he didn't want to bring out into the weak flashlight beam. When he straightened up, he held up towards Wendy a seemingly normal, blue shirt.

She was just about to ask what exactly was so special about a plain shirt, when Peter lifted one finger off the left shoulder of the shirt and the whole thing fell apart. They've been looking for hours and this was not the first shop they had to break in, using something new Wendy learnt as well: Spider-Man has super-strength.

"If only that had a zipper on the side," she giggled, lightly.

"Man, I don't get this 2709 fashion," Peter laughed along too. Through their masks, their voices were distorted in the slightest, faraway from each other in the distance created by that material, either thick or thin, yet in spirit, both of them have gotten closer for two reasons alone: Peter's newfound desire to keep on making Wendy laugh and Wendy's decisive thought that, in fact, she was enjoying not being alone in her travels for once. It became clear that Peter was exactly the companion she had been missing as soon as he showed interest, but everything was confirmed when he started solving more of Wendy's question marks.