Eight

Bryce

Petrified.

That was the word I was feeling.

Absolutely, utterly, totally and completely petrified.

"Mr. Jordan?"

My eyes snapped to the woman standing behind the glass counter in front of me. "Sorry. Got kind of lost there," I stated with an embarrassed chuckle.

"It's quite alright," she assured with an easy smile. "I imagine picking out an engagement ring can create quite a bit of a daze."

I chuckled again and gave my head a wave. "You're not kidding," I mumbled in return. I brought the single carat, emerald cut diamond ring closer to my eyes. It was stunning, and I could only imagine it would look more so on Bailey's left ring finger. But I was concerned. "Do you think it's too much?"

The saleswoman blinked at me for a moment. "Well, I'm not sure I can really say, sir. I've never met your girlfriend..."

"I'm not sure she's actually my girlfriend. We've... not discussed that part, I suppose."

"Well, I..."

"Honestly, our first date was Tuesday."

The woman looked almost horrified. "Well, I, um..."

"We've known each other forever. Going on four years now, so it's not completely out of left field..."

"Mr. Jordan..."

"But maybe it's too soon," I rattled on, the nerves I was trying to bury coming out at top speed. "I mean, it's insane, right? Marrying someone you've only truly had two dates with. We hardly know each other in a romantic sense.... And yet, she knows me better than anyone. She could probably tell you my life stories without so much as a single missed detail. She decorated a whole ballroom the way my mother would've. She makes sure my life is organized and exactly how I like it daily. She knows my coffee order and my shirt size. She knows when my mood is a bit foul, and... she knows how to change it. She could probably..."

The saleswoman reached out and set her hand on top of mine, fisted tightly against the glass case. "Mr. Jordan. Do you love her?"

I tilted my head, taking the stance of a curious puppy. "I'm sorry?"

"Do you love her?" she repeated.

"More than I've ever loved anything," I replied, without so much as a second of thought. "I'd give up everything for her and I'm confident she'd do the same."

"Then... that's all that matters, isn't it?"

I felt the smile stretching my mouth to its limits. "You're absolutely right. That is all that matters," I nodded. "I'll take it."

"Perfect. Let's get it boxed up for you."

I gave her a nod and handed back the ring before she disappeared into the back. Maybe I'd propose tonight or maybe the butterflies would get the better of me and I wouldn't. Either way, I'd have the ring for when the right moment arose, because that's what it was about. The right moment.