Chapter 3

"She's amazing, Jovie. I can't believe she is actually my sister."

Buddy is sitting on the ground with Susie, who is stacking wooden blocks and babbling happily. Jovie comes over and joins them.

"That's good to hear, Buddy. Do you think she will freak out when you tell her about this place?" she questions.

"Santa said she will. But once she understands how magical and joyful it is she will be fine. Right Susie?"

Susie yells happily and throws a block up in the air.

"She stood up by herself when you were gone," Jovie says, giving her another block.

"You did?!" he exclaims, smiling at Susie. "Pretty soon you will be running all over this place!"

Buddy and Jovie decide to take a trip that afternoon to the reindeer barn and have her meet Santa's reindeer. Jovie carries a bag of carrots while he carries Susie on his hip. Even though he's lived in the North Pole since babyhood, he can never tell them apart, so the elves painted their names on each stall.

"This is Dasher, that's Dancer over there with Prancer, Vixen is in that one, and then over here we have Comet, Cupid, Donner, and Blitzen," he says.

Susie's eyes are wide and curious. Jovie hands her a carrot to give to Blitzen, the gentlest reindeer out of the group. As the reindeer licks her tiny hand, Susie giggles.

Buddy can't help but think of Tori meeting the reindeer and the elves and Santa and even his animal friends. Why would she be afraid if she already loves Christmas?

The next Friday, Tori catches an early flight, so Buddy waits for her in front of his dad's work building. When he sees her walking up the street, she is wearing the same coat but a different beanie. It is blue, with a Christmas tree on the front of it.

"Tori!"

"Hey Buddy!"

"Can I give you a hug?"

She grins. "Of course," she says, wrapping her arms around him.

He leads her up the steps and through the revolving door of the building, telling her how the first time he came here he was escorted out by the police because his dad thought he was a singing Christmas gram.

"And then I kind of ended up in jail for something else, but my dad came and rescued me," he adds. "I knew he had a loving heart inside somewhere."

Tori is quiet and doesn't answer, so maybe he said too much again. They take the elevator to his dad's floor, and he has her meet Deb the secretary. She looks up from her desk and waves.

"Hi Buddy! Who is this?" she asks.

"I would like you to meet my little sister, Tori Kelly. My mom Susan Wells had another kid."

Deb stares at her in shock. "As in, the Tori Kelly?!"

Tori nods and giggles. "Yes that's me."

"My nieces love you! Can I get them an autograph? Is that okay?"

Deb completely ignores Buddy as she pulls out some note cards and a pen so Tori can sign them. She writes a little note on each of them and hands them back.

"Thank you so much! This will be the perfect Christmas gift for them!" Deb exclaims.

Tori reaches into her coat pocket and pulls out two guitar picks. "You can add these to the gifts," she says.

Deb takes them and then squeezes her hand. "What a sweetheart! Crazy that you are related to this goofball over here. Quite the character."

"Thanks, Deb! Love you, too," he says.