TWELVE. agonizing

— AGONIZING
season one — episode six

— AGONIZING season one — episode six

CHAPTER TWEVLE

      WHEN HE HEARD THOSE words, he felt his heart drop. He couldn't believe it. He had to take a double-take and make sure he heard it correctly. He swallowed thickly, turning to look Seulgi in her eyes. Seulgi seemed to feel the same way. He turned once more, this time looking at the timer on the wall. 10 minutes.

      He let out a ragged breath, trying to figure out what the hell he was going to do. He looked at the pouch in his hands and then back at Seulgi, not being able to look at her watery eyes for long.

      Without thinking about the outcome, he tried pushing his pouch into her hands, trying to get her to take it from him. "Please, Seulgi. Just take them." She shook her head and moved away from him, swallowing back tears. "No way! You're crazy." She frowned, shoving her hands in her pockets so that she wouldn't be able to grab them.

      Minjun sighed, his breathing was messed up. "Please. You don't deserve to die here." She scoffed, looking up at him. "Neither do you! You fucking dumbass. Shut up and keep your marbles." Minjun dropped his hands, his hands clutched around the pouch. He closed his eyes, tears threatening to fall.

      Seulgi grabbed his empty hand, dragging him over to the wall and sitting down. She laid her head on his shoulder when they were both sat down, hands still intertwined. "Let's use this time to get to know each other more." Seulgi managed to cough up, her voice wavering.

      Minjun pursed his lips but proceeded to smile at her, nodding his head. "Okay, let's do that." He tightened his grip on her hand a little, trying his best to reassure her. However, he knew it probably wouldn't work because he knew the outcome of this game. One of them would die and there was nothing they could do about it.

      "First thing, if you don't mind me asking, of course, why are you here?" She spoke quietly. Minjun laid his head on top of hers before he answered. "I thought it would be a good opportunity to earn money. Not for me, though... Well, I guess partly for me... but for my cat, Hae. It's stupid, but y'know." He heard her laugh softly.

"I don't think it's stupid at all." She reassured. "What about you?" He asked her. She sighed. "You don't have to say if you're not comfort—."

"My sister died a few months back. She was giving me a place to stay while I got back on my feet after I lost a lot of money and even went into debt. She was the best. But, as I said, she passed away from a sickness. I got a job to help support the two of us, but it just wasn't enough. I couldn't pay for her hospital visits and pay rent at the same time. She told me to only pay rent and she would be fine... she lied." Minjun swallowed thickly, giving her hand a quick squeeze. "So when she passed away, I wanted to give her a proper burial... but I had no money. The only thing I could really do was donate her body for science-y shit. I guess the reason I came here was to be able to pay off all my debts and have some sort of memorial made for her." He lifted his head off of hers and moved to sit in front of her.