Chapter 07

When our sixth sense starts feeling the red lights and our scalp starts pickling, sometimes tingling to goosebumps, we’ve two options, be smart or be a fool. We can either be peacemakers by hiding out the entire time or be chainkiller. Peacemaker adds to a free tag of Coward and chainkiller adds to a free tag of the brave hero. I personally prefer to be a peacemaker and my own personal chainkiller.

The blood in my body rushes only one signal to my brain, save your own ass, and then I look at my left to Zain, my one plus vulnerability. We’ve got an option of fleeing out from the window of the seventh floor into the greens being a selfish human which I should’ve been but watching the live open gunfire I couldn’t manage to read the signal from my brain clearly.

From understanding little about the island, I jumped back on square one because everything Zed told us was a lie, most of it was a lie. People are plastic but Zed is a fucking black polythene. He’s entering the rooms, bringing out dead bodies and piling up them in the lobby. Some bodies are covered in blood while some are pristine, breathing, I guess the immaculate bodies are of the ones who went to the buffet.

They’ve got the story of the death of 127 passengers covered already, plane crash. No one will come to our rescue.

Questions and questions are heaped in my mind, the major one is about numbers beside my parents’ names. I’m thinking about every goddam thing happening in front of my eyes except for one thing, the major question.

I took out the announcement mic from the cabinet and asked Xavier to connect it ASAP. He came back on the Earth when I shake his arm and I repeat my request for him. Zain keeps on nodding vicariously thinking that he’s trapped in his nightmare and he’s waiting for someone to wake him up so that he can wake up back in his pale blue bedroom.

Xavier taps on the mic diverting my focus from Zain and he nods signaling that the mic is ready. I tapped on the mic a few times and started by, “This is a deathly situation. Open gunfire is being witnessed on the first floor. I ask the ones who are willing to live more to sneakily evaluate this building. There are around 70 armed people on the first floor who are moving up on the second floor to continue their butchering. If you sight any human wearing white polyester, then run”, this is the least I can do by warning them to find their own safety.

“We’ve got to run”, Zain reminds me. He’s getting ready by hooking knots of the rope on the cabinet.

Xavier took the mic from my grip and started guiding his friends to their safety. He’s being stupid by openly announcing their sprint to the killers. “You guide them to the hall, killers will learn about their hideouts too. You are announcing this through every speaker”, I remind him.

“Guys run out and hide on the island”, I shout from behind.

“We’ve no signal to communicate out”, Xavier stomps his foot on the floor to feel a little jerk in his knees.

No, we have a communication device. I overheard Zed at Kureshi’s, talking about owning a burner for this trip. I quickly filled the screen with live footage of the fourth floor and found Riyan peeking out.

“Riyan, first of all, don’t trust Zed. He’s among the killers. Second, you’ve to go into Zed's room and find the burner. He’s been carrying that for this trip. I’ll guide you out, don’t worry but get the burner fast”, I announce diverting the killers' attention from the second floor to sprint on the fourth floor.

Riyan sprinted inside Zed's room and I kept my eye on the screen, turning the view to multi-screen on the fourth floor. “Hurry Riyan”, I beg.

He takes his time and I see a guy in white polyester walking up through the stairs. “Riyan, a killer spotted at the left staircase. Hurry”, I keep on announcing the whereabouts of the killer and Riyan emerges out of the room holding the burner. “Now you've got to run out. Jumping out is the best option”, I announce. He heard me and sprinted into his room.