17 || Aurnia

"Why are you spying on my parents?"

Aurnia blinked. Between the teddy clasped in an iron grip and frilly pink dress laced with intricate embroidery, Charlotte didn't make for a very intimidating figure. Even still, she gave the young girl what she hoped was her best smile and prayed to the gods above that she wouldn't start yelling.

"I wasn't spying on them Charlotte. I was only taking a look at the pretty painting on the wall."

"But you can't see anything from behind this plant." The girl brushed her hair away from her eyes before leaning in to peer closely at Aurnia's face. "Unless, does that scar let you see through things?"

"My scar?" Aurnia's fingers instinctively reached up to trace the old injury around her left eye. "No, that's not how--" She sighed and slid down the wall with a huff. "That's not how any of this works."

Charlotte hummed, then shrugged. "Well then you're just weird. And besides, it's not Charlotte anymore! My friends call me Lottie now."

"Is that so?" Friends and nicknames were an odd thought to consider given how strict Hamlin was when it came to who his children were allowed to spend their days with. But Lottie. Aurnia's mind brightened at the thought of a nickname. Nobles placed an unusual amount of pride in the minds they bestowed upon their snotty children. But this was different.

She started to smile.

"Hmm, well since we seem to be doing introductions, you may refer to me as Aurnia. We have met before, although you might have been too young to remember."

Charlotte giggled, her gold ringlets bounced with every chortle and Aurnia, half expecting a hurried flutter of footsteps, cast a cautious glance down the hall.

"That's not true, I do remember you! You're that funny girl that father threw a vase at." The little girl grinned and pulled Aurnia to her feet. "You made a really big mess and mother spent a whole day yelling about it."

Aurnia made a quick mental note to give thanks to Dalena later on. If that was the only thing the child remembered about her then the goddess of children and innocence had done a really good job.

The soft browns of the corridor were starting to give her a headache. A feeling not helped by the shuffling she could hear drifting from somewhere downstairs. Aurnia's mind raced to find somewhere that was safe to speak and her mind landed on the empty drawing room she had come across on her way over. She mulled over the thought. Perhaps that was a way to distract the child. She turned with a grin.

"Your mother spent a day yelling about me? Well that's not very ladylike."

"Nuh-uh." Charlotte's blonde curls bounced as she shook her head. "Miss Elizabeth says that sometimes you have to not act like a lady in order to make the lady-like decision."

"Is that so? In that case, why don't you do the lady-like thing and invite me into your drawing room?" She watched the little girl's face contort in silent thought. Then Lottie nodded enthusiastically, darting ahead to pull a door open with a flourish. Aurnia could not help but smile. Thank the gods that she'd met the smart one. Charlotte might have been six, but her curiosity might be good enough for Aurnia to get some answers.

"And who exactly is this Miss Elizabeth?"

"She's my governess, and she's much nicer than you." The child paused to inspect Aurnia's clothes. Then she pointed to the floor with a flourish. "Mummy says my friends aren't allowed to make a mess. So you have to sit on the floor or I will get in trouble about the dirt."

"Oh? We're friends now?" Aurnia had to stifle her chuckle and she used the opportunity to brush herself off and take a quick look around the sparsely furnished room. A couch, a darkened fireplace and a weathered carpet. It seemed Hamlin had abandoned another drawing room. Perhaps the sun didn't shine hard enough to warm the wife's withered heart.