Chapter 2: Like Fire, It Spreads

"WAAAAAAHHHHH!!!"

A piercing scream echoed across one of the many lovely mansions in the land of the Silver Swan tribe. Particularly, seeming to trace back to the usually tranquil castle of the Swan family. As confused as those who were simply passing by the residence, those who reside in the castle are equally disturbed by the heard scream.

"N-no way... How could this be..." The owner of the voice continued to mumble to his self, while gripping a piece of paper that appears to be the cause of his distraught.

"L-Lancelot!? What's the matter!?"

Then came the people who heard the scream of the man, through the door barged the lady of the household, Odette, the princess of the Silver Swan tribe. Anxiouness clearly written over her expression. Thus, the staff followed their lady from behind also curious of the ruckus that rose.

The man who is known to be Lancelot shakingly lifted his attention from the paper and faced Odette, eyes clearly on the verge of tears, his jaw trembling, and paper still gripped tightly by both of his hands.

"W-what's wrong...?" Odette asked one more time as she slowly approached her unstable knight.

"M-m-m-my! G-gu-gu--" He stammers as he explains the cause of his distress. The princess nodded patiently, waiting for Lancelot to ease while her gaze momentarily shifts from him to the paper he is holding. "Yes...?"

"Gwen is!" He shrieked and bit his lower lip, "Your sister?" It is rare for a full-grown knight to be this visibly shaken. His expression, the piece of paper he currently holds, there's no mistake. Something terrible must have happened and he just received the news. After Lancelot mentioned his only sibling's name, Odette immediately predetermined that an unfortunate fate must have hit her knight's beloved sister.

The princess decided to close distance between the man and embraced him tightly with worded assurance, "It'll be fine, she'll be fine..."

"Guinevere is strong, isn't she?"

But Lancelot didn't stop quivering, Odette caressed his head gently but it didn't ease him much. Though if anything changed, it would be the princess's further understanding of her knight's emotions. The truth was that, he wasn't really worried.

The cause of his trembling is due to anger and contempt. And Odette just touched on this fact that she terribly misunderstood, she pulled away and stared at her knight's profile. "Eh...?"

"Gwen has been officially engaged..." He said between gritted teeth. His face clearly burning in rage and his reason barely clinging on a mere sliver of thin thread. In other words, he is close to shredding the piece of paper that carried the news (and probably the person who is engaged to his sister if only he knew who he is).

The lady smiled wryly at the fuming man infront of her. Well, if anything that Odette knew before, it would be that Lancelot adored his sister so much.

.
.
.

During the three days that the eldest son of the Baroque head was away, the head himself has started to make a move. Conducting the operation of settling diplomatic relations with the last tribe they ever thought of connecting with.

The first step to make was to arrange an advance meeting with all the chiefs of the Ivory Crane, discussing the decision that is supposedly to be made by the Baroques. The head cancelled and adjusted almost every of his scheduled affairs just for the sake of his only daughter, somehow redeeming his esteem from being a forceful father. As if that wasn't enough of a shock, other heads of high-ranking nobles are also stupefied by his sudden revelation.