Diplomacy

It is early in the morning. The rest of the convoy depart for another patrol, leaving behind the two patrol boats with their pilots to guard the camp under lieutenant Ace's order. He knows he's leaving the camp exposed with only two soldiers, but this time, he's more than willing to risk it. Their patrol just liberated an entire town from some unknown bandits. Now he can't keep their existence a secret. He must begin negotiations with that governor, hoping that he will be willing to accept them as allies.

The cadet looks at his codriver, who is nervously trying to load his Glock 17. He can't blame him. They got transported back in time. It's not possible to cope with that fact in just two days, they need time to adapt. Those who wish to go back have a much harder time accepting the obvious. They were expecting to return to their families and relatives after their patrol and spend a nice weekend relaxing and leaving behind their everyday duties. Now that it has come to this, their plans for the weekend have been ruined. They're not fond of it but they know there's nothing else they can do at this point. They can only hope that there will be an aftershock that will return them to their timeline. For the time being though, all they can do is continue to do what they always do, patrolling.

After two hours of driving, they arrive at the small town where they are greeted by the locals with flowers and applauses. It looks like the cadets gained them quite the popularity here. Everywhere they go, the locals are applauding them and cheering them with all their heart. They know the good intentions the Gendarmes have, otherwise why would they save them from the bandits? They can see it in Gendarmes' hearts that they are good people, even though the lieutenant doubts it.

They arrive outside the governor's building where they are reunited with lieutenant Ace and the rest of the patrol squad. The cadets probably had a fun time last night because some of them seem to be drunk since yesterday. Just how many bottles of wine did they drink? It doesn't matter, they deserved a little fun. After all, they don't get to party very often back in their timeline due to the current crisis that exists.

They enter the building with the lieutenant at the front. The building is not very modern. It has a rather ancient design. The grey walls are made of stone, the windows are similar to the windows of a Protestant Church, stained glasses. Across them is a wooden desk with two round chairs, similar to those medieval stools.

Behind the desk is a young black haired girl, around her 20s, wearing a blue shirt. She must be the governor's secretary. She is so beautiful that everyone is looking at her with an amazed look, all except the lieutenant who is focused on his mission.

The lieutenant approaches the desk and the girl lifts her head, looking at him.

-"Hello", he says. "We're here to meet with the governor".

-"Hello", says the girl, smiling at him. "The governor has been expecting you. Please, follow me".

The girls get up from her chair and walks towards a big wooden door, about four stories high. It reminds the lieutenant of the time he visited the medieval castles all over Europe. At that time he was still interested in the world's history and was still studying to become a history professor. That is, until other priorities came into place. After he graduated from university, his interest was taken over by his dedication for mother nature, and there was nothing that would change his mind. That's how he gave up his dreams to become an Environmental Gendarme.

The girl opens the door and the Gendarmes enter the room. It's definitely more luxurious.  At the left wall, there's a giant library shelf full of books, with different colors. All books are all placed in an unusual way because they are all mixed up with each other. The governor has a very weird habit of organizing the books. It reminds the lieutenant a little bit of himself though. He also mixes the books on the shelf back at home rather than placing them in the right order. It's no surprise that he's always confused when he looks for a book to read and can't find it.