Chapter 1: Aunt Morgan's least favourite niece

Unfortunately my story has to begin on a note of sadness. My mother had passed on...
Well it actually happened a year ago but I remember it like it was yesterday: the blood pouring out of her body, the claw marks, the stench of the red liquid, the screams of agony, the open gash across her throat -
And I often found myself dreaming about it every night and every night I woke up screaming only to fall asleep again and the nightmare coming back to fill me with fear.
I, of course had another terrifying dream and lay breathless in my bed with cold sweat beaded on my forehead and my heart hammering against my ribs. The sun was shining lazily in the blue sky - what I'd call ironic weather.
With speed that would make any turtle proud I crawled out of my bed and opened the door to my bathroom - the one that only I could enter. Inside, the tiled walls were a checked-pattern of white and royal blue, the floors were plain white and the pearly bathtub resembled a jacuzi.
I was about to grab my toothbrush when instead of doing so I found myself looking into the mirror as if I was expecting to see a different face but all I could see was a dark-haired girl with blue-green eyes staring back at me. I glared at my reflection with a feeling close to vertigo. If only my mother were still alive, then she'd probably comfort me after nightmares, play with my hair on. sunny afternoons and boring nights and she would always compliment the gold flecks in my dark brown hair and tell me what beautiful eyes I had, eyes the colour of the sea.
Tears fell from my eyes as I turned the bath's faucet and the icy water gave me goose-bumps. I only cried in the bathroom because it was th e only place where people couldn't see me at my weakest and trust me, outside the bathroom I wasn't someone to tamper with.
I pulled on a pair of jeans and a random white shirt. I did not have much of an appetite, I didn't want to go downstairs for breakfast, only to be trapped with my intolerable dad, fussy step mother or my biological younger sister. It's not that I disliked my step mother, it just happened to be that my father was trying to replace my biological mother in the hopes that I will forget about her and lighten up, but the only one who had done that was my little sister, Artemis - which left me as the only heart still yearning for my mother even though she was gone from this world.

I was kind of mad at her for leaving me; in the hopes that she'd come back to life I visited her grave often and cried and screamed at the tombstone, "Why did you leave me? Why?"
But sadly there was no reply and I knew I was blaming the wrong person for her death. She wasn't even murdered by another human being...

I still remembered those large eyes gaping at me before fleeing...

With my mind still running on a train of thoughts I revealed a chest of my valued items from under my bed. After my mother's death I decided to hack some of her possessions and store them in the chest. My hands fell on a pink book that was stuffed with papers.
I opened the book and the papers fell onto my lap. There was rough hasty writing on the papers which caught my eye and before I knew it I was reading them

They live among us
We are just too blind to see them
The angels and demons are all
around us
We just don't see them
They are not the only ones among us
There are more of them
All sorts and all kinds
Living and breeding among us
The power is still roaming the earth
And I'm certain that it'll come for

The rest of the writing had been torn. off. I read that piece over and over again until the voice inside my head was echoing it.
What had my mother been trying to say? Well people often called her crazy or a freak, since she believed in fairies and elves and werewolves and goblins and what-not but this sounded urgent.
I borrowed through the other stuff she wrote and they were more or less the same thing: gold misty smoke, it's coming, they live among us.
Still scavenging through my mother's treasure I came across another piece of writing: