Chapter 19: Encounter with the Devil

''Wake up,'' I heard a voice and someone forcing me onto my bed. I awoke to see Florian staring at me. 

''You woke me up; I assumed you'd leave me here,'' I remarked, yawning.

 ''Of course not, go wash yourself; I brought some soup for you,'' he replied, smiling.

"Thank you," I said. As the freezing water engulfed my body, I felt my nerves calm in the flow. I ate the soup and we proceeded to the meeting location. 

Florian earlier told me that he has already prepared a backup plan in case something unexpected happened. Florian and I walked through the narrow streets of the city, the cold wind biting at our faces. The atmosphere was tense, and I could feel a sense of urgency in the air. As we approached the meeting point, I couldn't help but glance over my shoulder, half-expecting trouble to emerge from the shadows.

The meeting point was a dimly lit alley, with flickering neon signs casting an eerie glow. Florian signaled for me to wait as he checked the surroundings for any signs of danger. Satisfied that it was safe, he motioned for me to follow him into a hidden door that led to an underground passage.

Inside, the atmosphere shifted. The air was thick with anticipation, and the low hum of muffled conversations filled the space. We navigated through a labyrinth of corridors until we reached a clandestine meeting room. The dim lighting concealed the faces of those gathered, giving the room an air of mystery.

As we took our seats, Florian exchanged subtle nods and coded glances with others in the room. The tension was palpable, but there was an unspoken understanding among us. Plans were discussed in hushed tones, and a map was spread across the table, marked with strategic points and escape routes. I observed the diverse group gathered – individuals with different backgrounds, skills, and motivations, all united by a common cause. Each face held a story, etched with determination and resilience. The meeting was a blend of cautious optimism and calculated risk-taking.

Florian leaned in, outlining the details of the backup plan he had devised. His words were measured, yet there was a spark of determination in his eyes. As he spoke, I felt a renewed sense of purpose, a shared commitment to the cause that transcended individual concerns. The meeting concluded with a silent agreement, and we dispersed back into the shadows. The wind outside seemed to carry the weight of our shared mission. As we navigated the labyrinthine streets once more, I couldn't shake the feeling that the events unfolding were just the beginning of a larger, intricate puzzle.

Back in the safety of our hideout, Florian and I exchanged glances, knowing that the path ahead was uncertain, but we were ready to face whatever challenges awaited us. The city's secrets whispered in the wind, and we braced ourselves for the journey that lay ahead.

''Welcome home," the voice murmured.

"Cut the formalities short and just tell us the truth," I responded angrily. 

''Calm down, young lady,'' the man said, grinning.

"Speak," Florian urged.

Both Florian and I were taken aback when he turned backwards and exposed his face.

"Mr Wakanda?" But why?'' we immediately said in disbelief. 

''I've been serving the king for the past decade, but what have I earned in return? "Nothing," he snarled. 

''You murder my father so that you can become the executive counsellor?" Florian roared.

 ''Oh, nephew, you know me so well,'' he acknowledged.