prolouge

The hotel lobby was an elegant blend of old-world charm and modern luxury. Crystal chandeliers hung from the high ceilings, casting soft light over marble floors, while the warm murmur of voices and clinking glasses filled the air. The scent of jasmine from the vases on every polished table mixed with the distant hint of salt from the Mediterranean, making the air feel electric. Lyanna Mikealson sat in a secluded corner, her sharp blue eyes scanning the room with a practiced indifference. She wasn't here for the scenery.

Her fingers drummed lightly against her knee, her dark hair falling like silk over her shoulder, obscuring part of her face. She'd long since grown tired of these kinds of missions — securing Klaus's empire, maintaining their family's dominance, playing the shadow in places no one should know she existed. But the danger always kept her sharp. As the eldest, and the hybrid twin of Klaus Mikealson, this world of secrecy, power, and immortality was second nature to her. What she hadn't anticipated was the strange thrill that had crept over her the moment she arrived at this hotel, as though something — or someone — was shifting her fate.

Across the lobby, near the grand staircase, James Potter adjusted his collar, looking far too casual for the intensity of his purpose. There was something undeniably magnetic about him, from the unruly dark hair to the faint, mischievous smile that hinted at secrets he'd never fully share. A wizard by blood, an Auror by trade, James was used to walking into danger. But nothing had prepared him for the undercurrent of magic he sensed the moment he stepped foot into the lobby. It wasn't the kind of magic he'd grown up with, but something older, darker, and more dangerous. And it was coming from her.

Their eyes met, a fleeting glance that lingered longer than it should have. He wasn't sure why, but for the first time in a long time, he felt something shift in him — something inexplicable and uncontrollable, much like the magic that flowed through his veins.

Lyanna's gaze flickered to James. She couldn't place it, but there was something about him. He moved like he didn't belong in this world, yet held himself like he owned it. There was something annoyingly familiar about his presence, though she knew they'd never met. For now, he was just another face in the sea of fleeting moments she'd pass through tonight. But the tug in her chest said otherwise.

Neither of them knew it yet, but they were about to unravel each other's worlds in ways neither could have imagined. Two beings from different realms of existence, drawn together in a foreign country by forces neither of them fully understood.

They would fall in love before they knew the truth. They would marry before discovering the lies.

And by the time the secrets came out, it would already be too late.

For both of them.