seven: associates

marcel.

"lay it back, loosen up, one-shot, lookin' up
need you, on the cuff, never fell so hard in love
take me, never leave, this could be so heavenly
Malibu to Beverly, i can't help but thinkin'', do you notice me? oh, do you even notice me?
Do you notice me? "
- Let me know, Surfaces
——————————————————————

"I need to pee." alex snarls

i sigh of disappointment as eyes stare at alex with different reactions.

"Did the whole table really need to know that information." i say, shaking my head

it's currently lunch, and alex, ice, alex's....."friend" preeti, and a few of ice's actual friends as well were at the table. maria wasn't feeling it today. she stayed home with my mama.

"I feel that everything I have to say is valid. including my bladder ventures." alex retorts

Ice loudly whispers, "This is why we're your only friends." earning a smack in the arm from alex.

i then hear a particular accent in the mix of all the jokes and mumbles.

"So marcel, your football game is this friday yeah?" preeti asks.

"Yup, my first one back. Especially against our rivals, "The Devils." i find my eyes subconsciously roll.

"What a shit name." one of ice's friends said to which i nodded in agreement.

our table seated around 10 of us near the middle of the cafeteria. bright 12:09 sun shined through long glass windows. my white tee and sweatpants absorb the heat as my eyes wander around, looking for a familiar face.

"Wow, and I thought this was just a myth." alex chimes.

"What now Alex?" preeti challenges.

alex's hands rested on the top of preeti's chair, although never touching, preeti's leaned into alex.

i've never seen this. this is a little rare for alex to bring a girl around lunch. especially us, me and ice, knowing we'll say sum later.

"You just drank bubly with your pinky out. Could you not be more british? You hiding your daily tea stash in that big ass backpack of yours?" she laughs along with the other people around the table

preeti rolls her eyes as she smirk-smiles.

"I wouldn't have room when you have me carrying your big ass ego in here now would I?" she responds, leaving most people around the table in only oohs and oh shits as a response.

me and ice look at each other before simultaneously moving our chairs closer to each side of alex and preeti.

ice then dramatically clears his throat, clasping his hands to ether with a devilish type grin.

"Preeti, me and my associate here would like to let you know that your presence here is greatly appreciated and we'd love to offer you a deal." Ice starts, in the worst british accent possible, then gestures to me.

i fix my imaginary tie as i lean into preeti and clasp my hands on the table.

"I, the associate, and mi amigo bueno Isaiah Ndaku would like to propose the ability to jump off of each other for jokes, but not just any jokes. Jokes about our lovely devil's advocate, Alex Corella." I finish

ice and i, have always been goofy together. what started off as a "rivalry" to little jokes on the field here and there, is now a full on comedy duo. the only time i really find somewhat of a voice is with ice, and i truly don't know what i'd do without my brother.