4.

The swift retrieval of my simple Pontiac from the police department parking lot ended with us both attempting to not draw attention to our redden eyes and tickled humor as I dashed into the driver's seat and fled the area. It was the trip back into town that I savored and enjoyed, and not only because of the blunt Jess and I passed between each other during the slow journey. We rode and smoked with all the windows down, with music of every genre blasting from the speakers, and with our faces lit up with smiles as we recited the lyric, matching the speaker's volume. I forgot how it felt to simply be, without a care in the world or grief haunting me at every turn. The sky seemed more colorful, the music seemed to touch my soul a little deeper and the vibes were higher than ever. Gratitude had washed over me, realizing I'm experiencing a good moment, already with a new friend in this new, mysterious city. The trip loosened the grips my fears had taken ahold of me, helped me to recenter and adapt to the nerves that flowed rampantly beneath my skin. 

Now, I steered my own vehicle with Jess in tow behind me, and my cell phone, with her voice ringing through it, held in my free hand. Though the call wasn't necessary, neither of us deemed driving alone in silence to much of a good time. Not when Jess enjoyed explaining who lived where as we rode past hidden mansions and uniquely designed residences, her extensive knowledge causing me to question if that's why she had befriended me so quickly; to learn just as much about me as she knew of my neighbors. And as soon as possible.

"The GPS says to turn left here," I instruct Jess through my car speaker, turning my wheel into a nearly invisible driveway. Overgrown grass and shrouds covered and camouflaged the aged concrete, trees and bushes flanking either side of the road.

I curse under my breath as I bear down on my breaks just before reaching a deep, threatening pothole sitting left of the path. Continuing to drive through the thin, bunched trees, I warned Jess of the ragged road, making an effort to watch closer for the sneaky holes myself. Though it isn't many, the few that are existent are bigger than I anticipated and look rough enough to damage a tire or two.

"This is bad, like really bad. You'd think the driveway would be worth something," Jess criticized through the phone speaker. I silently agreed, wondering how the house could be as grand as my parents described, with a driveway this damaged.

As I drove down the small path, I admired the way the sunlight swam through the branches of the trees aligning each side of the driveway. After hitting those few potholes, the road is smooth and leads over a hill where I assume the house hides. It's hard to subdue the excitement due to my mom's constant bragging on the house. Though my stay with my parents should be coming to an end within the next year of my life, my excitement to move in and decorate my room is still very present.

"Oh, fuck. I didn't expect.. this," I breathed out after my car finally mounted the hill to reveal the dark bricked house sitting on the top of a small hill valley. No, not a house but a mansion. Trees are scattered over the yard but very loosely allowing the orange sunlight to wash the yard, and the driveway that leads directly to a circular, cemented parking space in front of the house. In the center, a water fountain rained clear waves down its folds, sparkling in the afternoon sun.

"I love this," Jess agreed through my speakers.

I ended our call as I parked my car on the right side of the circle of bushes and flowers, Jess following suit. She hops out with an excited grin and skips to my parked vehicle where I stood, gathering the bags I got from the mall. Shutting my door as we started towards the towering bricks, I struggled to accept this was my home.

Windows covering the front of the house, from the near top of the building to the base, allowed me to see straight into the home where tall glass windows made the walls facing the backyard as well. Light poured into the building from the lack of solid wall, illuminating the noble sized foyer and living room filled with boxes and bags. I can see a few people moving around inside, though I can't make out exactly who is who.