Chapter 3: Fallen spring

May 2011

A (h/c)-haired girl sighed. She looked defeated as she turned on the tap water. She gathered her palm together, cupping the water, and lean forward to wash her face. She did this a couple of times until the sticky fluid on her cheeks was completely scrubbed off. Once she felt the familiar texture of her skin under her finger, she continued by washing the same sticky feeling off of her hair.

(y/n) huffed, she turned off the tap. "Achoo!"

Even though it was already May, the spring breeze sure wasn't friendly today. She should've done this on the restroom stall inside the building. But, (y/n) shook her head at the thought, it would be worse if she cleaned herself on the restroom stall instead. She shivered, both at the thought and the spring breeze. Her hand slipped into the pocket of her skirt, searching for a particular item to wipe the water off her face. Much to her disappointment, she found nothing. She almost cursed if she wasn't caught a glimpse of a hand in a male uniform sleeve handed her a baby blue handkerchief.

"I told you to bring a handkerchief."

Of course, she knew that scolding voice anywhere, "Kou-chan!" she quickly clasped her hand to her mouth, "I mean, Suga-san..."

"It's okay, they already know anyway," he brushed off her formality so casually. "Here," He lifted his hand to her cheek, but (y/n) caught the handkerchief before the fabric touched her face. Well, more like she pulled the handkerchief after taking a good look at it.

"How—" she glared a dagger to the setter, "You said you already give it back to me!"

Suga smile cheekily, "I just did!"

(y/n) rolled her eyes, he was lucky that he played tomorrow that she couldn't beat his ass up. "And they say you're an angel..." she huffed out a mocking breath.

The boy smirked, he connected the side of his now-flatten palm behind his ear and teased, "A what?"

(y/n), didn't want to give the boy a pleasure to be cocky, "Nothing,"

He lowered his hand then folded his arms, "Pretty sure you're saying something about me..."

(y/n) shook her head as she squeezed the water of her baby blue handkerchief, "You're sure like to hear things, huh? Just like that time..."

Suga laughed at the brought-up memory. He sure wanted to continue the battle of denial, but the battle cut short as the bell rang. "Don't forget after school,"

"After school?"

Suga sighed at her answer that admitted, she did forget. Suga put his hand on her shoulder in a sympathy gesture, "Coach Ukai."

Then (y/n)'s mouth went agape like a fish out of the water. She awkwardly cracked a smile, "right." Brokedown into a depressed mode when she recalled the unpleasant event the day before.

Suga sensed the dropped atmosphere then lifted his hand to pat the underclassman's head, "Don't worry, he won't scold you. Just help Shimizu like usual."

"I doubt it." She sighed, "Maybe it'll be easier if I'm not here."

"Don't say that!" he stated, "We're very happy you would help the team!"

(y/n) pouted, "I see."

*

"I'm sorry!" (y/n) bowed, quickly ran to the storage room of the gym, and grabbed a mop. She hurriedly mopped the spilled water, didn't really notice the pity looked from the others.