The Letter

When we were in the TARDIS, after I'd closed the door behind me, Abigail turned to face me. She sighed, crossed her arms, and said, "Doctor! What the hell did you do that for?" then proceeded to slap me in the face.

"Ow! What was that for?" I asked, rubbing my face.

"You're just gonna let it get them? You're gonna let it take my friends away from me?" Tears were forming in her eyes now. How could I explain this to her? Rose would know....

"Well, Abigail, let me explain," I began, pulling the lever on the TARDIS console, piloting her with the utmost skill, I must add.

"Oi! Doctor! Tell me what your plan is! Please!" she yelled as I ran around the console pushing and pulling buttons and levers.

"We can't defeat it. It's over. There's no way to stop the angel. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry," I gave in.

Abigail put her hands in her pockets and sighed. She looked as if she was about to cry.

"Hold on a second," she slowly took her hands out of her pockets, and in her dainty left hand was an envelope, "This came in the post this morning. I haven't opened it yet. Just think, if my friends had gotten sent back in time, could they have leg me know somehow? What year would they be sent to?" she asked thoughtfully, still holding the envelope.

"I dunno, it's random."

Abigail began to open the envelope, slowly removing the flap, then pulled the paper out of it and unfolded it.

She read it, not once looking away from it. Her face changed. Abigail's eyes now held a glimmer of hope. What was she reading?

"Doctor! Read this!" said Abigail, walking towards me, holding the paper out to me. I took it and began to read it out loud.

Abigail,

I just thought you'd like to know that we were all okay in the end. Maggie, Cassandra, Lucy, and I., that is. Don't know where the rest of our little group of friends is. Maybe they're in a different decade. We're in America in 1952. I married a nice young bloke and we had three children, triplets! Maggie didn't remarry, but she did get a job working for a television company! Lucy, on the other hand, landed an acting role on a new show called "I Love Lucy". I think I've heard of it though, back in 2012. She married a Cuban man called Desi and had a son and daughter. Cassandra became an English teacher. She hates it here. Every day she complains to me about missing cell phones and computers. I've at least been able to cope. Well, I guess this is a long enough letter. I miss you!

Best wishes from 1952,

Jackie

So, her friends got sent back in time.

"Can we save them?" Abigail asked.

"Maybe. Maybe not. You see, it's almost like a fixed point in time now. Your friend Lucy, she's going to be a legend in America. If we remove her from that timestream, all of history will collapse on itself," I explained, "I don't think we can go and get them. I'm sorry."

Abigail crossed her arms and said, "Rubbish, Doctor. This thing can travel in time, right?" I nodded, "So I thought. Let's just go get them!" she pleaded.

"We can't."

"There must be something!" she was almost crying now. My hearts were breaking.

"Well.... Maybe we could do something after all. Not getting them out of the 1950's, but helping others avoid being sent there," I tried to explain. She looked a bit less sad now.