Chapter 2

[ New York ]

The New York streets were surprisingly quiet during this interesting day. Less cars, less commuting, less problems. Not that it meant much to the two sorcerers in the event who only had to walk a few blocks to arrive there.

Even if it was a short walk, it was something that Strange dreaded—walking to Christine Palmer's wedding, as a guest.

Since Christine was a doctor, she really didn't have time to set up a luxurious wedding out of the country. Her thought process was: "the quicker, the better." Having a place ready on the South Side of New York was a positive, along with the fact it was cheaper.

Still, there were only a few guests that were allowed at the event. It was a surprise to Strange that he was even invited, with an even bigger one now that Wong was invited as well. Around the party was familiar faces that Strange more or less couldn't care about.

Sporting a tuxedo with a red handkerchief in his pocket square, it was very similar to the one he was wearing before his tragic accident. Wong accompanied him with almost the same wear, albeit the handkerchief. They were standing side by side at the back. It was the best way they could think of of not attracting any attention.

"Don't you want to at least socialize?" Wong encouraged, hands crossed and scanning the room. "Weren't any of these people your colleagues when you were an actual doctor?"

"I'd rather not," Strange mumbled, as to not attract any glances. "Besides, they all barely remember me."

"Right, you were dusted." He recalled.

"Bizarre you forget the reason why you were given the rank of Sorcerer Supreme in the first place."

"You're still bitter about that, Strange?" Wong spoke flabbergasted.

"Like I said, I'm not bitter."

"I'd love to disagree." Wong dryly chuckled.

Guests were greeting one another, as they were likely co-workers in the hospitals that they've been working in. To the sides were the families of the husband and wife, seemingly exchanging their best wishes to one another.

Through simple investigating, Strange found out that the husband's name was Derek Porter—a man that Christine met during the Blip. He survived a plane crash which went down in upstate New York, and Christine was the one who seemingly tended to his wounds. Ever since, Christine and Derek fell in love.

That thought irked Strange.

It made it even more awkward that Strange and Christine barely talked ever since returning to Earth after five years. There were embarrassing conversations ever since; with their last one being a few months before the wedding. Since then, they were talking through texting but it didn't really generate the same spark compared to before the Blip.

Strange gulped.

"Are you good?" Wong tapped him on the shoulder aggressively, "What did I tell you? Loosen yourself up a bit. This is no time to put on a frown."

"What are you—my mother?"

Out of nowhere, someone approached the two sorcerers. Wong was in the unknown, confused at the man in a luxurious tuxedo that greeted Strange. For the Master of the Mystic Arts, it was irritation that somehow got attracted towards his direction.