𝙞𝙞. a wall in the woods

( ARIA'S POV )

"THE BORDER EXTENDS beyond the pond, through the trees. If I'm doing my math correctly, it should be as long horizontally as vertically."

The eight of us were huddled up, seated by the bushes. I leaned against it, still trying to achieve good cell reception.

"The pebble I threw reached about 6 feet above that tree over there," the boy named Giovani told us. "But I aimed it for the side of the sphere, so this place could be much taller."

Miren grew wide-eyed. "When were you planning to tell me you actually have smarts in your head instead of drugs?" She held a pen on one hand, scribbling down notes, with her torn-out pieces of paper laid against Giovani's back.

"I roll weed, not smoke them."

Unsettling nonetheless. I'd given up on my cellphone, deciding it's best to keep the battery at a high level. I tucked the device into my front pocket.

I looked over to my right, catching Issac playing an escape room game on his phone. My cousins devoured those, finishing one before the next hour. Nayari had her markers laid out, trying different combinations and approaches in doodling leaves. Everyone else munched on snacks, treating the situation lighter than it should be. Are they insane? Am I?

     "If we're going to be here for a while, might as well get to know each other." I suggested. Not because I was looking to form new friendships, but for contribution. I needed to know what each person could bring to the table. Strengths, weaknesses— everything. This is vital information in a situation like this, and I hope they're having the same insights as I do.

To my dismay, the group blankly stared at me, as if I were the last person to suggest such a thing. I put my head down due to the unwanted tension, fiddling with my pressed flower necklace. A daisy rested between the resin, looking as fresh as the day it sprouted.

     "Or," someone said, who I now know is named Mateo, "we can start walking through the woods, and see what each of us are made of."

The girl beside her, Haven, nodded in agreement. So did Gio and Nayari.

I had my own beliefs. "Rather push your luck, then?" I countered, but judging by his mischievous expression, he'd already came up with a comeback.

"No, just a firm believer of actions speak louder than words. I don't expect a poet to understand."

Mateo snuck a look at my Rupi Kaur poetry collection books, tucked away in my worn out, half-open shoulder bag.

That got a laugh out of me, which was strange. If anything, I should be offended. I never backed down to a challenge— and I certainly don't show signs of weakness.

     Across me was Issac's friend, Peter, who shamelessly rolled his water bottle towards me. I was evidently confused.

     "Apply cold water to burned area."

     My eyebrows shot upwards, kicking the refreshment bottle back to him. Sounds of laughing and odd giggling came from left and right, like that irritating 8D music my uncle plays through my bluetooth earphones. My tío liked to connect them to his phone before I successfully connect them to mine. Competitive, he was.