Chapter 7: Unexpected Competition

--PRESENT DAY 2017, 9:00 PM--

Darwin drove his Z through the colorful, lighted streets. The roads felt lively, but not too crowded in traffic. Darwin was still a few streets away. His mind was scrambled with every emotion possible. Happy to see his old best friend, scared to be rejected and neglected by her, sad about what they used to be, and more. He shifted into neutral, and pressed the brakes until halt at a red light. He drove mindlessly for a few more minutes, leaving the city area, heading north. As he approached the meet, he heard music blasting around the block. He took a right, and approached the meet. 

"Woah..." he said to himself as he saw hundreds of people all crammed in one parking lot. The sound of tuned motors and cheering filled the air, as "goosebumps" by Travis Scott blasted at full volume. He entered the parking lot slowly, cramming his way through the crowd of people. He rolled past an M4, an Evo VI, a 240sx, and many more that caught his eye. Through the swarm of people, he made his way to the emptier side of the lot and parked. He pulled out his phone and dialed Haru's number.

"Come on... pick up..."

Haru answered the line.

"Where the hell are you guys?" Darwin asked.

"Hiding around the block. It's an Underground event, we can't be seen here." He responded.

"Well, I just got here." Darwin answered. "I don't see her anywhere... do you guys have eyes?"

"See that bright yellow M2 on the right? With the Focus and G35?"

Darwin looked over to his right side of the parking lot, spotting a lowered yellow M2 with a white windshield banner, parked by the Ford Focus and Infiniti G35. There was a group of racers, males and females, all talking and laughing. He spotted a black woman wearing ripped black jeans, green Nike sneakers, white tank top and dark a purple bomber jacket with frizzy, short black hair. It was Ariel.

"I see her." Darwin said deadpan. He began to feel worried again as he started to walk over slowly. He started rehearsing what to say. 'Ariel... it's been a while...' eh, no. 'Hey, I need to talk to you about something...' no. 'Haru and Cara sent me...' maybe? - He thought as he walked through the crowd of people. Shit, he thought, what am I doing? The last time they talked, it was an argument, and he wasn't expecting this encounter to be any less. He got closer and closer, with every step. A woman with a biker jacket and green dyed hair walked into him, shoving him out the way.

"Hey!" She exclaimed with her southern accent, "watch it kid!" she said rudely, walking off, dropping her wallet and phone on the ground. Darwin lost his balance, and caught himself midway. He spotted the wallet and phone on the ground, and picked them up. He ran up to the lady, tapping her shoulder. 

"Hey-" He started.

"What the hell do you want?" She snapped.

Damn, so much for kindness, he thought. He put his hand out, holding her phone and wallet. She looked at him up and down, as if she were checking him, or something. She took her stuff back from him

"Thanks." She said, in a slightly nicer tone which was still very ominous, before walking off. He started making his way back to Ariel's group, and as he did, Ariel's eyes laid directly on him.

Shit, he thought.

She was big time now. She leaned on the front of an NA1 Honda NSX; JDM imported.

Holy shit- is that hers? Darwin thought, baffled. He took in a deep breath. He walked into the circle of racers talking to her.

"'Scuse me-" He said, shoving a man over to the side to see her.