Chapter 14

LUIZ

THE WORLD is fair, but life isn't. We live in the same ocean, but we ride different boats.

If Anemje does really exist, he probably still cares for me—even a bit. I was thankful that the Comeback happened at my age where I can already survive on my own. I couldn't imagine myself lasting for a day if the Comeback happened during those times when I still couldn't walk with my own feet.

Life is unfair. We are all bombarded with the same challenges, but we don't have equal resources to fight what's ahead of us. I grew as an orphan in this world. My mom died while she was delivering me. My dad died in an accident just when I turned two years old.

Since then, I was adopted by my father's sister, who turned out to be Naila's mom. Growing up, I never really felt the lack of parental love. Despite Naila's mother being a single mom, she never failed to show the both of us what having a mother and father feels like.

And Naila. She was like a younger sister to me—though we often fight too like mortal enemies. I was never the extrovert person when I entered grade school. I'd rather read books such as novels or science discoveries, rather than playing with other kids.

Though I have this one boy I considered my friend. Well, I guess I had no choice but to talk to him since we sat next to each other at the same desk. Fun fact: Ephraim and I fought on our first day of school. He accidentally dropped my sandwich. I could have forgiven him for that. But not when he picked it up and put it back in my lunchbox together with the untouched ones.

"Sorry, wala pa namang five minutes," he said then grinned.

Isn't he aware of what microorganisms are?

I swear, if I didn't read the school rules, I could have punched him non stop already. But since I believe I was kind, one strike against his face was enough. And besides, during the "introduce yourself" session, I found out he was 2 years younger than me.

He was the same age as my cousin. Though he told me he went to school early that's why we were classmates.

Growing up, I also grew close with Naila and Ephraim. I felt like I was their older brother. Would it be a plot twist if I tell you I was their original cupid? Well, that's expected.

There was nothing I could ever ask for in the life I had. It wasn't perfect. I didn't get the chance to bond with my biological parents. But having these people who made me feel worthy and loved was beyond enough for me.

It was a calm sail of life, but huge waves are inevitable in the vast ocean. Just when I thought everything was in harmony, Naila's mother passed away due to a disease she's been keeping from us.

It was more than devastating for me and Naila. I couldn't see why we had to face that wild wave in our lives. That moment told me to care more for the things and people I cherish.

In life, we all had the persons we wanted to protect. In my case, it was Naila and Ephraim. Aside from my empathy towards the poor and oppressed, the reason why I badly wanted to become part of the Comeback's solution was for me to end this shit.

No matter how meticulous Naila is, or no matter how brave Ephraim has become, we can't guarantee our safety in this time where corpses roam around and feed on the living.

Nothing is guaranteed in this world. You are never safe in a wild ocean.

"'Wag niyo kasing kalilimutang magdasal palagi. It's powerful you know," ani Naila habang nagvi-video call kami. For at least once a week, we always find time to connect with each other via technology. Compared to mine, their internet connections were a bit slow. Probably because I was in Esperaria and they're somewhere else.