Chapter Nine

"Why is everyone laughing?" Ashkii asked, trying to make sense of the rowdy commotion around the pool table. It was late on Sunday at Giovanni's bar. The place was flooded in dim lights and echoed country music from the jukebox tucked away in the corner.

     "Because that dude just made a terrible bet," Giovanni said, answering Ashkii's question. The younger man was sitting at the bar and watching the pool contest from a distance. Giovanni would pause to explain things here and there, but sometimes he would get distracted and he wouldn't remember where he was going with it. Usually, what happened when he'd sip a shot here and there through the night.

     "Well, I guess he's going to have to fork up a lot of money today," Ashkii said in a slightly slurred voice as he made eye contact with Giovanni. The corners of the older man's lips twisted into a smile, then a small giggle escaped his slips.

     "Jesus my head hurts," he said, wincing as he looked away from Ashkii briefly. "I shouldn't have drunk so much, huh?"

     "I'm a bit out of it too..." Ashkii muttered, making Giovanni roll his eyes.

     "Well, a glass or two seems to be enough to throw you off," the older man said, making Ashkii nod before laughing a bit.

     "You're not wrong."

     The two seemed to be having an easy conversation, regardless of what happened the last time they'd been in the same room together. Ashkii was happy. He'd been a little nervous walking through the bar's doors and making eye contact with Giovanni, but the man had simply smiled when he'd walked in and offered him a drink before going on to explain what happened yesterday with the game, and what was going on currently. The bartender never brought up that morning and Ashkii's place, and Ashkii took it as a sign that he was willing to brush that under the rug for the time being. So, he did the same, and he was enjoying the night.

     The bartender was bubbly and sweet, and it was a sharp contrast to how he had been when he had found out what Ashkii was watching.

     Everything was going so well that Ashkii thought that he shouldn't bring up his feelings or admit what he wanted to do with Giovanni. He felt those could wait—at least for now that Giovanni seemed to be in a good and friendly mood. He'd missed coming to the bar, and just chatting. And now, there was an extra layer of getting to look at the person he was madly attracted to up close. Ashkii avoided looking at Giovanni's mouth, but he noticed the dip dimples showing up anytime the man would laugh, and he noticed the man frequently reaching out to brush back his hair with his fingers with very little success.

     Giovanni's hair was a bit wilder today. It seemed like he hadn't styled it, but instead of looking unkempt and messy, the dark curls, pulling up in all corners made him look a bit younger—sweeter—cuter.

     "Is there a problem?"

     Giovanni's question made Ashkii blink before realizing that he'd been staring at the man a little bit too intently. Ashkii's lips parted as his face warmed up and his lips trembled.

     "N-nothing." He managed to get out, looking away from Giovanni before taking a hold of the glass in front of him and taking a swing. He winched a bit, not even liking the taste of the drink.

     "Don't do that, or you won't be able to drive," Giovanni said in a concerned tone, reaching out to hold onto Ashkii's shoulder. "Are you okay?" the older man asked, inspecting Ashkii's expression. It was a mix of confusion, embarrassment, and guilt. Giovanni's stare made the younger man fidget in his seat.

     Ashkii nodded his head. "I'm fine."

     Giovanni frowned a bit, giving the younger man a stern look before moving his hand to the man's face. The man's cold palm almost made Ashkii jump out from his seat, but instead, he let out a little sign, letting his eyes follow the fingers that were now tracing his jaw as his heartbeat increased.