chapter 4

It was his sister's, Daisy and Phoebe's, birthday today and Louis was really looking forward to it. He stepped in the car around 11am and drove back to his home town. There was no sign of life from Harry all morning and it was getting frustrating. Before Harry knew about everything, he at least spent time around Louis, even if he was hurt deeply.

With a deep sigh, Louis turned on the radio and tried to distract himself from the fact that he once again lost the person that meant everything to him.

He arrived at his family home a couple of hours later and smiled at the big decorations. There was a giant "9" hanging outside on the front door and Louis got of his car and walked up to the door, ringing the bell. It was opened by a brightly smiling girl who hugged him immediately.

"Hey Lots", Louis said and wrapped his arms around her.

"I've missed you."

"I know, I'm sorry." Louis hadn't visited in way too long, so he took a step back from her to greet the rest of his family.

He gave his sister Fizzy a hug and then went looking for the twins. They were sitting at the kitchen table, pink party hats on their head. They squealed as they saw him, and both jumped into his arm.

Louis laughed as he hugged them close. "Happy birthday my darlings."

"Thanks Lou," Daisy mumbled, kissed him on the cheek and ran off again.

"Do you want to see our cake?" Phoebe asked, took his hand and pulled him to the kitchen.

Louis grinned but his smile froze as he entered the kitchen. His mom was at the stove, stirring around in a pot and next to her, in a green apron was... Harry. He was cutting onions and his curls kept falling into his face.

"Hey Honey", his mom greeted him and gave him a quick kiss on the cheek. "Welcome home!"

Harry looked up and his eyes met Louis'. Way too late, he remembered to greet his mother back.

"Um, hi", Louis said, and his eyes flickered to his mother for a second. "How are you?"

His mother was looking between them with an unreadable expression. "I'm doing good", she eventually said and threw Louis a questioning look. "It's been hard cooking for everyone today, but Harry really helped." She sent Harry a wide smile which he copied. 

Harry's smile made Louis' insides feel warm and he had to rip his eyes away from Harry, so he'd be able to form a full sentence.

"Oh okay, I'll... search for Lottie."

His mom nodded and a little smile played on her lips as she once again looked from Louis to Harry. Louis left the kitchen and found his sister Lottie quickly.

"Hi Lots", he said.

"Spill the beans."

"Wha- What do you mean?"

She gave him an "Oh please"-look and Louis sighed heavily. "Okay, alright. Harry found out."

Lottie raised her eyebrows. "That you're still in love with him?"

"Shh", Louis said and put his hand on her mouth. "Do you want the whole fucking neighborhood to know?"

She just rolled her eyes, and he lowered his hand again. "No, he found out about the... about the contract", Louis said.

Lottie's eyes widened and her face was full of shock. She was the only one Louis told about the contract regarding Harry because she was his sister and he needed to talk about it with someone other than the people involved in it. When he told her, Lottie wasn't pleased at all. She kept telling him to "fight for love" but after some time she gave up and now it was only some remarks here and there.