Chapter 7

•••

•••

"That's the spider that bit you?" Ella asked as she observed the inanimated arachnid in the tube. Who could have thought that such a small being could grant such powers? "You're lucky,"

The two lovers were sat on the bleachers of the football field. It was the break so Peter and Ella decided to meet up. After he brought her home the day before (after many protests of Ella as she was afraid he would let her fall again), Peter told her to meet him at the bleachers so they would talk. Gwen was at the library, working, so Ella didn't have to make up some questionable lies to her.

"It's dead so... you cannot have power too, unfortunately," Peter said.

"No, that's not what I meant," Ella said, still staring at the spider. Peter frowned as an undertone of concern appeared in Ella's eyes. "You could have died," she breathed, already freaking at the simple thought.

"What?" Peter asked, confused.

"I assume its venom was tested on no one," Ella said, finally looking at Peter. "So nobody knew what it could do. You're lucky it gave you powers because as it was genetically altered, another pair of arms could have grown from your ribs, or worse, you could have instantly died,"

"Wow... now that you say it...," Peter muttered as realization hit him.

He was so thrilled and amazed by his new power that he never really thought of the fact that he could have died. Was he spared? Was he lucky? Did he have something in his DNA that protected him? How did the venom even work? If another person would have been bitten, would the person be still alive?

"But you're safe and healthy so I guess it doesn't matter," Ella added as she handed the tube back. "Who else knows about this?"

"Just you," Peter smiled.

"Really?" Ella said, surprised. "You know I was only 67% sure it was you,"

Peter laughed as he shook his head.

"I thought the mask was enough," he said. "I should have expected it wouldn't be enough for you. I heard a lot about investigation skills,"

"Yeah," Ella chuckled. "I just... connected the fragments of information I had,"

"Talking about investigations though," Peter said in a sudden more serious voice. "Do you do that a lot? Going undercover in gang's hideout?"

Just by the sound of his voice, Ella knew he was not liking the idea of her endangering her own life at all. He was so worried when he got her out of the tracksuit gang's hideout. The concern in his voice was still clear in her ears.

She shook her head.

"It was only the second time," she said and saw Peter inhaling sharply. He surely hated the idea. "Usually... I just go the crime scene to interview witnesses,"