The Movies

POV Alex

  The movies has always been one of my most beloved sanctuaries, from the dim lighting to the smell of the popcorn dripping with butter that greets you as soon as you walk through the doors. The endless amounts of snacks and sodas to choose from and then the few hours of peace while being enthralled in a movie; well, it's usually peaceful. Today, Travis decided to take my brothers, me, and Brad's friend to the local movie theaters. Trey is pretty chill, but Brad always ropes him into messing with me. We're supposed to be watching the new Spiderman and I'm pretty pumped. I'm a huge Marvel nerd, my brothers like Marvel too, but they always say that I take it to another level. 

  "Come on, we're going to be late, twerp!" I hear Travis call from downstairs. The movie doesn't start for another hour, but he likes to watch the previews. So, he says, but I really think he's just fucking OCD about being on time to places. "Alright, I'm coming, I'm coming." I mumble to no one in particular, I grab my my shoes and proceed to walk downstairs to all of my brothers, and Trey, positioned in different parts of the living room. I guess I'm the last one down. 

  "Did you find the shoes to match your dress, Alexandra?" Dylan teases and shoves me as I walk past him leaning against the staircase. "Shutup, that's not my name." I say as I stumble forward, my voice wobbling as I almost lose my balance, everyone just laughs. I roll my eyes and sit down on the couch next to Trey in a hurry to unlace my shoes, in an effort to not make Travis any more annoyed than he already is. 

  "What's up, short stack?" Trey smirked, referring back to my statement from earlier, Brad does rope Trey into messing with me a lot, but Trey's not so innocent himself. He has a younger brother, Eric, who I buddy around with sometimes and he tells me things about Trey that makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. 

  "Not much, where's Eric been at?" I haven't seen him in a few weeks and that's a little unusual.

  "The dweeb has been grounded. Get this," He leans back so he's talking to me and Brad, who's sitting on the other side of him. "Last week, I opened my car door and dented my mom's car parked beside me and I couldn't risk getting in trouble again after the car wreck incident, so I told Eric that he better take the fucking fall or he was getting pounded into next week. Somehow, the nerd convinces my mom that he did it, and he doesn't even fucking drive. It was hilarious." He's laughing hard enough that Dylan and Travis join in and Brad is just sitting there smiling, like a light bulb just went off. I roll my eyes, ignoring him, and continue to put my shoes on.  "Well, I-" I start, but Travis interrupts me. 

  "Alright, ladies, enough chit chat. Everybody pile in the truck within the next five minutes or you're getting left." He gestures for everyone to follow as he starts to walk out the door. 

  "Shotgun!" I yell first and start running. I suddenly get pulled back by my hoodie and thrown back onto the couch. "In your dreams, nerd." I look up to see Brad running ahead and through the already open front door. I chase after him and get to the passenger door and try to push him out of the way, stating that I called it first. He shoves me and I fall onto the concrete and just as he's about to pounce, Dylan walks up to us.

  "Actually, in both of y'alls dreams, little brothers, get to the back." I roll my eyes for the millionth time today and push myself off the ground. I turn to see I'm the last one to get in the truck when Travis starts honking like crazy. I mutter something that only I could hear and open the back seat to see one of the worst parts about being the youngest brother; having to take the middle seat. I groan verbally and Brad lets out another one of his infamous chuckles, climbing over him I settle in and buckle, but luckily it's only like a 12 minute drive to the run-down, small-town movie theaters. I feel a sharp pinch on the back of my arm and I begin to wince until I hear Brad in my ear.