PROLOGUE

-"Can't I skip it today?" Meera pleaded.

-"No Meera. You cannot."

-"Chhere din na.. aaj kei toh sesh holo tests." Requested Isha, Meera's only friend from the home. 
("She just finished with her tests. Please leave her for today")

-"No! I do not want to hear anything." Sister Annie announced. Turning to Meera she further added, "Get ready. Your teacher is waiting for you in the study- room."

Sister Annie walked out of the bedroom followed by a gloomy Isha. Having no options left, Meera rushed to the washroom, changed into a presentable attire, collected the required stationary, and walked down the stairs.

This was what her routine had been for the last two years. Rising as early as 5 am- riyaaz for almost a couple of hours- getting ready for school. The school ended at around 3 in the afternoon. Her after-school routine included returning from school, freshening up, and then rushing down to the worst 1.5 hours of pure torture. For the 1.5 hours, she tried to negotiate almost every day knowing very well that her voice would go unnoticed every time.

Meera was about to turn 12 in a couple of months. It was 31st December. The entire world was decking up for the new beginning. She was found at the door of the orphanage all wrapped up in a chilly morning of Bolpur. No one knew when was she born. It was more like a 'Foundation Day' for her. She always thought this way.

As an orphan, Meera always craved a family. She had observed the little puppies snuggle up to their mom during the winter. She had seen her classmates coming to school with their parents. She felt sad. It wasn't loneliness; it was emptiness. Every night before going to bed, Meera prayed to her Lord for a family. A family that would love her, call her their 'own'.

Wasn't Meera loved? Yes, she was. Recently she was applauded with an award as a new blooming flower in Indian Classical Music. She has been a part of multiple recording sessions. Everyone at the 'Sangit Bhavana' of the University knew Meera. All the professors and students loved her and admired her, but above all, they envied her for the latter's extraordinary tonal quality and skills. But she lacked attachment. She lacked a family.

********
Sangit Bhavana: Institute of Dance, Drama and Music. Visva-Bharati University.
.........

UPDATES ONCE A WEEK!