Christmas Day

Annabeth woke up with a headache.

She opened her eyes to a room full of light and Christmas music. She looked over to see Piper standing off to the side, shuffling through the music.

Annabeth was reminded of what happened last night. How Piper went on some date with some guy. After her talk with Nico, she decided to go to bed. Piper was getting ready to go to sleep, which Annabeth had not been counting on since it would mean having to awkwardly slip her way beside Piper and pretend like everything was fine.

It was awkward, indeed. Annabeth wanted to apologize just so she wouldn't have to feel so tense ever again.

But now, Piper was standing next to her bed and bopping her head to some Christmas playlist. Annabeth wondered if maybe she had apologized after all, for Piper to be in such a calm state around her.

It wasn't too long until Piper had noticed Annabeth had woken up, to which she just grinned at her and threw herself onto the edge of the bed.

"Merry Christmas." She smiled. Annabeth just stared.

"Aren't you mad at me?" Piper sighed and rolled over on her back.

"And what good would that do for us?" She said. Annabeth still wasn't sure. "It's a problem I'm willing to put aside for later, so long as you are too." Annabeth nodded. She would have apologized right then, but she never brought herself to do it.

Deep down, she still felt she was right.

Piper didn't need to know that.

Piper was good at reading people.

*
*
*

Annabeth felt carefree watching her family and friends open their presents and take pictures and drink hot chocolate and whatnot. Plus, it didn't hurt too much that her and Piper were sitting insanely close to each other.

Annabeth decided to heed what Piper had said and put aside the issue at hand and save it for later. She was going to savor every good thing she could.

Annabeth also couldn't help but notice that Piper had a small gift with Annabeth's name on it sitting right in front of her on the coffee table. Annabeth had a gift just the same for Piper.

While everyone was busy with their own gifts, Annabeth turned to Piper and gestured to the gift on the coffee table, "Who might that be for and when were you planning on giving it to her?" Piper smiled.

"It's actually for someone else, I just happened to reuse the tag." Annabeth simply stared, as she noticed she had a habit of doing when she was confused. Piper laughed and reached for the gift. "I'm kidding, dummy. Of course it's for you." She gave it to Annabeth. Before she opened it, she took out the gift she had for Piper which was stored safely away between her leg and the edge of the couch, and handed it to Piper.

"For me? Why, I never would have guessed." Piper said with faux shock. She took the gift and carefully unwrapped it, Annabeth doing the same.

Annabeth couldn't help the pride that erupted in her chest when she noticed Piper admire the necklace she had taken out. The necklace was gold with a simple owl dangling from it with little jewels detailing it. It had Piper's initials inscribed on the back. "Wow... it's like the one I showed you..." Annabeth smiled before she looked back down to finish opening her gift.

It was a miniature statue of the Pantheon in Rome. Annabeth was obsessed with it. She was obsessed with Piper. She couldn't think of anything else to do but look at Piper with the biggest hearts in her eyes.

They were both fairly satisfied, to say the least.

A nice scene was when Will had gotten Nico a ring to match his whole edgy look. Nico looked like a tomato.