prologue

~~~

Rosa was always a little different from all the other kids in her town

Well...

She could control the elements.

Her parents decided it would be a good idea for her to keep her powers from the town.

It was when she was born, they decided to move away from Encanto.
And it was when she was 13 years old, and lost her father.

As that day started, she knew something about this day wasn't going to be good. There were dark clouds in the sky, the sun non existent. It was colder than usual, since it would be at least over 70 degrees. And the winds were high and the waters were becoming dangerous.

A young man came up to her to inform her about how her father was again not doing well- it was at least the third time this month.

She entered the small tent and saw her father, laying on a cot. She whimpered, trying to hold in her tears as she saw him laying there.

She knew by the view in front her as she stepped in, these were his last. He laid limp, and sickly. Everytime he would be announced sick, he would wave it off saying it's nothing. But this time...

It wasn't going to be one of those times...

Her 19 year old brother, Gael was sitting beside his cot with mother as she sat on the other side holding a crying 12 year old, Carlos. Rosa sat beside Gael, taking her father's hand. She feels tears start to form on her eyes.

"Dad?" She whispers, seeing as he weakly looked over at Rosa. He slowly brought his hand up and caressed her cheek. She leaned into his touch, as he wiped a small tear away.

"Hello mi Mariposa, don't cry" He said, his voice scratchy and worn out. He gave her a weak smile, when suddenly he bursted into coughs.

She tried to keep a smile but as soon as he started coughing, she couldn't as her mouth quivered. Her heart ached. She felt like she couldn't breathe. She felt sick how she could feel the pain in her heart. Her heart, her lungs- they just hurt. She couldn't look at him, without feeling like shes slowly loosing a whole side of her.

"Oh mi amor" Mother put her hand on his back, making him sit up. Rosa bursted in tears, and she suddenly became cold as the wind picked up going through the tent. Gael wrapped his arms around her small figure and she shook as she sobbed.

She felt this rising course of rage and sadness course through her. It made her skin start to feel weird. The wind picked up. The ground shook, and the fire pit exploded with a bigger fire. Then, she could hear the waves on the beach outside crash into each other. It was like her senses heightened.

It was that night when he died. That night was when she ran. She hid in her secret treehouse, playing softly with her powers.

Her father was the only thing that made her feel sane. She hated the fact that she had powers, and couldn't always control them. She felt like the world could break in just the palm of her hands.