𝟎𝟏

𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙊𝙉𝙀

all the way across town, in an area affectionately known as little korea, a party was being held at the kim residence. suddenly, a blaring noise played. loud, like a tornado siren. startled by the noise, valerie kim spilled her red kool-aid on her parents' freshly cleaned white couch.

"oh god," she muttered. then someone else noticed.

"nice going, hairy," said elodie chay.

"oh like you didn't spill blue powerade all over your parents' new rug last year, ellie," valerie said, firing back.

"you guys just can't get along can you?" joked hayan baek.

"shut up, yan," elodie and valerie said, simultaneously.

"jeez, who died and made you guys queen?"

"damn, who died on the couch?" joked elodie's younger brother, elijah. this caught valerie's mother's attention. valerie turned and saw her walking angrily in her direction.

when she reached her, she grabbed her arm and dragged her to the corner.

"eomma, it was an accident! I was just scared because of the loud noise," valerie said.

"hyera, ttal, do you understand what you've done? this is our only chance to impress everyone all year, and you have the nerve to ruin it! Do you know what the chay family did when their daughter embarrassed them last year? they homeschooled her for three months because they didn't want people to know they were related. you will pick up 3,000 grains of rice if that's what it takes to get it through your thick skull," her mother warned, in a very stern tone. she got louder the more she spoke.

"i am apologize," valerie said, butchering the pronunciation.

"hyeju would never do something like this," her mother said, very disappointed. she walked away.

valerie walked dejectedly back over to the couch, with all her friends.

"wow, your mom seemed mad," elodie said.

"probably because her korean sucks," hayan interjected.

"shut up, yan!" valerie and elodie said, once again in harmony.

"burn in hell." hayan snapped. valerie stuck her tongue out at her.

just then, elliot chay (elodie's older brother) turned on the tv. maybe he did it to stop the fighting, or maybe it was to find out what the loud noise was for. he flipped to the news channel. what came up seemed like something out of a purge movie.

attention citizens of carlisle lake. the mayor's daughter, caroline carlisle, was found murdered on the boardwalk moments ago. due to this tragedy, the island will enter lockdown, effective immediately.

valerie stared blankly at the screen, expressionless. her best friend was dead, and the last thing she did was lie to her. she fell to her knees. a woman in the next room fainted.

— — — — —

at the carlisles' home, arnie was freaking out. he was looking at his older sister, standing before him and talking to him, looking alive but vaguely see-through and a little bloody. his eyes widened and he screamed. holding his towel tight against his body, he ran out of his room and down the stairs to the living room.