Chapter 6: Dad

Michael sat by the window like he did each day. "Happy birthday to me..." He sang the final words and blew out the candle that sat on his bedside. Another birthday, another year cursed to be alone. He turned 13 today, not that anyone cared. No one cared about him. The world turned it's back on him the moment it took away his father, the only one who ever loved him. He was done playing nice.

"Michael get out here!" Dad was home? He was never home on his birthday! Maybe he remembered this year! Michael rushed out of his room, down the hallway and into the kitchen where the he heard the clang of a glass. His hope was short lived when he saw the sight. His dad was covered in blood and drinking, like always.

"W-what happened? Are you oka-"

"I need to leave. For a little while." Dad interrupted. What did he mean by leave? He leaves every day.

"Why..? Where are we going?"

"Not we. Me. Someone stole some nukes from Snowchester's supply and I have enough enemies that I'd rather not be around to find out what happens when they figure out how to activate it. You'll just slow me down and I don't want you coming with me son. What if you get hurt? I'd never forgive myself." Tubbo spoke slowly and slurred his words slightly.

"But it doesn't matter. I can protect myself and you can protect me!" Michael cried out, completely in shock from his father's words.

"The only person I know how to protect is m-myself." He hiccups. "You'll be okay kid. You've been alone for this long. Either way, I'm pretty sure there's a warrant out for my arrest. You don't want what happened to your father to happen to me too right?"

"Don't speak about him when you're drunk! I've said this before!" Michael yelled. He always tried to look at the positive side of things, but when he's being abandoned for what feels like the second time, it was difficult to be hopeful.

SLAP

Michael barely reacted. He just felt the tears sting his eyes. He was used to the physical and mental abuse. This one was different though. It was defining, as if his hope shattered more as the bruise formed. "You ungrateful piece of... This is why I'm leaving. Good luck on your own kid." His father walked upstairs in a drunken rage, the last drunken rage Michael would ever see him in.

Michael went back to his bedroom and slammed the door. He's just going to leave? Just like that? Why does he even try to celebrate his birthday?! All it brings is pain and torture. He vowed to himself that he would never celebrate again. February 14th would no longer known as the day he was brought into a loving home and the day that was declared his birthday. It would be known as the day that his hope died. As the day that his love died.

He stared out the window at the prison. This was his fault. The warden broke his family apart. The warden killed his father which ended up destroying the person his dad used to be. It's him and Michael was angry. He had never felt so angry in his entire life. What was the point of being happy and hopeful when the ones who got everything were evil?

Michael heard the front door slam. He quickly walked to the front door to see his father's shoes gone. He meant it? He actually meant it this time. Michael sighed. He refused to cry. Not over him. He walked around his mansion. The humongous, mostly empty mansion because they could never afford to furnish it. Only three rooms were completely furnished. The kitchen. His bedroom and his parents bedroom.

He walked upstairs to his parents bedroom. The bed was unmade and clothes were flung around. He walked to his Papa's side of the bed and sat down. It was cold. He opened his bedside drawer and inside was a painting of their family. They looked happy there. They looked normal, as normal as they could anyway. The vague memory of his first home filled his mind. This was that painting, just taken off of the canvas. He looked at his Papa's face. Michael smiled as he ran his fingers over the painting. He wished times were like they were the day this painting was made. When love held them together. When life was good.

Michael laid down, clutching the painting to his body and he let them fall. He finally let the tears fall. He made a silent vow to himself. This is the last day he will cry over his broken family. Never again will he let them win.

Michael was done waiting for life to be good to him. If he wanted happiness, he had to take it for himself.

======================
oooooh and our main character is done with the bs! What's gonna happen next :D