𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐎𝐧𝐞

"Do we know anything yet?" asked April after she had come out of the ER and tied her yellow coat.

"No, only what was shown on the TV." The doctors nodded all before the first ambulance arrived.

"Lia Adamson, 15. Part of the classroom where she and two other students were trapped, collapsed in and on top of them. She crashed on the way but is stable at the moment," the paramedic explained.

"Okay, Edwards, Wilson, we're going to take her to trauma one and have them order a CT."

"Hey," Owen stopped Matthew and Nicole who were about to get back on the ambulance, "How many more are coming?" From the looks he got from both of them, he knew that today was not going to be an easy day and especially a long one for all of them.

⟣⟢

"Okay," Owen came into the trauma room. "Woha, don't you have other patients to take care of?" He looked questioningly at the residents and their interns, who were all standing around the room against the walls.

Stephanie cleared her throat briefly, "We thought it was-" but she didn't get any further as she was interrupted by Jackson.

"She's crashing!" he shouted and was handed the paddles by the nurse. "Charge to 200."

"Charged." affirmed Ben, who was assigned to Jackson today.

"Clear!" Nothing. "Charge to 250."

"Charged."

"Clear!" Everyone stared at the monitor.

"Come on.", April muttered. Still no change.

"Charge to 300."

"Charged."

"Clear."

"There it is," April exhaled in relief before getting the scans. "We need to get her to the OR as soon as possible or she'll bleed out on the way down."

"Take everything with you, Edwards, she and your interns make sure no one is in the corridor, or at least not in the way. Warren, you're coming with us. Wilson, you hold the lift. Everyone else, make yourself useful in the ER," Owen ordered.

Jo, Stephanie and her interns went to their posts before Jackson gave the okay. "Let's go!".

They ran to the lift where Jo was arguing with Bailey, "Dr. Wilson, this patient needs to go to the OR and I want to remind you that I'm your supervisor, so-"

"I know, but-"

"Wilson!" yelled April. They both looked to her and Jo walked out of the entrance to the lift while Bailey cast a shocked glance at the patient. Just before the doors closed, a "Damn it!" could be heard.

⟣⟢

"What happened?" asked Meredith as the others entered the OR and April was on the patient.

"She collapsed in the lift." Jackson helped April off the gurney and walked out of the OR to his own surgery while April and Owen got ready for Lia's.

"Has anyone called in yet?", Meredith looked at the nurse who was on the phone.

"Yes, a Mrs. Claire is here asking about her condition."

"I thought her name was Adamson?"

"Maybe it's her aunt or something?" came from Ben, who waled trough the door to the scrubbing-room.

"Yeah, might be the case" replied Jo, who was assigned to Meredith, which was why she was also helping out in the OR.

"What could be the case?" asked Owen as he and April were being prepped for surgery by the nurses.

"Nothing, forget it. Good, let's get started then."

"Um, Dr Hunt?" cleared Ben's throat, after about an hour.

"Warren?"

"I think we should probably page Dr. Torres."

Owen looked up from the patient, confused, "Why?"

Ben lifted the blanket off her right foot a little so that the others could see it too.

"Someone page Torres! Now!"

"Don't need to, Kepner. I was up here the whole time and saw the foot. Get that foot sterile for surgery, I'm coming down," Callie said through the intercom.

⟣⟢

"She's an orphan."

The doctors' eyes all wandered up to the gallery "What?"

"Your patient. She's an orphan. Mrs Claire is the manager of the orphanage just two streets away. Her guardian is her 21-year-old sister, Maria Adamson."

"So why hasn't she been called yet, Edwards?"

"Well," Stephanie began, "the thing is, she's already here."

"Well, tell her there are some papers to fill out."

"Yeah, um, she can't."

Callie rolled her eyes, "Now spit it out Edwards!"

"She's dead."

Once again all the doctors looked up.

"She had a internship at her sister's school, she didn't make it out of the building in time.

The patient is an orphan. Well, she wasn't a full orphan because of her sister, but now she is. They knew that this would be not easy for the person who have to tell Lia that her sister is dead. But what they don't knew is that Lia had meet her sister already.

They were jolted out of their thoughts by a shrill beep. "Oh you've got to be kidding me. How many times are you going to do this to your heart?"

⟣⟢

It's a pretty short chapter, but the next ones are all going to be a lot longer, because I wanted to finish up here now with the OP situation. And of course I wish everyone a happy new year🎆❤️

PS: I will always add a song above which you can listen to while reading if you like. It will always be the one I have heard while writing :)

~published on January 2th 2022~