Prologue

I was once told that I was a work of art and I was a work of art because not everyone understood me and the ones who do, never forget me. They said I was an "unforgettable painting" that they couldn't shake from their mind. I laughed. I found it to be so obscure for someone to refer me to a painting, someone as dark and concealed as myself. I laughed until I realized the compliment behind it. They reminded me that I wasn't all darkness, that I had some light buried within. They shown me the colour that could burst, the happiness that I could truly have. They guided me into the light.

It all started on that cold winter evening in the underground where I was set to kill Carston Berthhold. A grumpy German Hunter with greying hair and dull green eyes. A Hunter who decided to leave his clan and switching to fight alongside the Protectors. A switch being imprinted within our brains from birth. You're born either a Hunter or a Protector and you find out your true self on your sixteenth birthday where you have a ceremony at the Intensive Espionage Training Institute at the same time you discover your gift. However, Hunters and Protectors can switch... after tireless days trying to lure the darkness or the light away, you turn. Only, afterward you have an entire clan after you as its considered prison-worthy to switch. It's extremely rare for someone to switch, it only happening one other time in my lifetime, Carston being the second.

I had met Carston a variety of times, he being a friend of my Fathers. Carston was constantly at our house with his daughter Annalise. A girl a year older than myself with fresh pale skin, long legs, large doll like green eyes and shining platinum blonde hair that rested just above her hips. Annalise was classed as perfection within the Hunter society. Every boy wanted to have her and every girl wanted to be her. I befriended Annalise, after her constant prodding and poking into my life. Annalise was the first person to ever truly open me up. She reffered to me as her little locked book, a book that only she had read and whomsoever managed to open would be my key. Annalise believed in true romance, in soul mates that are destined to be together. Obviously, I thought it to be nonsense. Only, I did find my key. A man of soft pale skin, golden blonde hair and sky blue eyes. If it hadn't been for Carston Berthold and his switch I wouldn't have met him.