Chapter ten

January 1941

Harry

"Do you want another drink?" I ask Violet as we come back to our table after an attempt at dancing. I realized she was being serious about being terrible at it, but I still appreciate the effort she made by at least trying. Of course I would never tell her anything about it, I will always deny and compliment how great her dance moves are. I worked hard to get this date with her, I won't let it go to waste because of something as trivial as dancing.

I think I like her even better knowing she is clumsy.

"Are you trying to get me drunk, sir?" She comments pretending to be offended by my question. She has had two glasses of champagne with me, it is clear the alcohol is making her a little more smiley and relaxed.

"Me? Never." I place my hand on my chest offended, still trying to realize how she agreed to come with me.

Earlier tonight when I went to pick her up, I was sure I would be greeted with a big no. In all honesty, I was a little too much lately indeed. I never thought she would agree to any of this, but I'm glad I tried. I still can't put my finger on what it is, but since the first day I saw Violet, I felt something for her. You might think it is cliché, and it might as well be, truth is, I like being around her. Since the day I saw her fiercely face my idiot brother-in-law, I haven't been able to stop thinking about her. Violet thought I was just another man seeking an adventure, probably she even thought she was part of a bet with my mates, but she couldn't be more wrong.

So when I showed at her house to pick her up, I was most surprised when I saw her ready, looking absolutely dazzling. I almost couldn't believe what my eyes were seeing. Violet and her bright eyes were starring deeply into my soul under the starry sky, and I swear I fell in love at that exact moment. What makes it even more extraordinary, is that she could be wearing a paper bag over her head, and I'm sure the feeling would be the same.

Right now, all I can wish for is that the seconds pass very slowly tonight, so I can enjoy this night with Violet, wishing it would never end. She seems to be enjoying her time with me, from the little time I have known her, she was never the smiley type, nor did she speak much, and tonight she looks like she is truly enjoying herself.

"You shouldn't drink either, you need to be on your senses if you are driving me home tonight." Violet says but I get the feeling she regrets her words for some reason, although it might just be my impression because she masks it up with a smile right after.

"You are right, but I don't plan on leaving so soon. If you enjoy my company I will gladly stay until the sun rises tomorrow morning."

"I work tomorrow so I'm afraid I need a couple of hours of sleep." Violet lets her back rest against the leather sofa we are sitting. We reserved this area for ourselves when we got here, it is a simple two-seat sofa, with a coffee table in front of us. It is now empty, meaning the waiter came to pick up our empty champagne flutes while we were dancing.

"Should I call your boss and tell him how I want you all for myself?" I am pushing my luck a little too hard by saying this question out loud. But I also hope she understands I'm respectful and just want to spend more time with her.

From what I have gathered, Violet is not the type of woman you can mess up with. I am positively sure she would strike me across the face if I even attempted something on her, something as simple as a peck on the lips. Honestly, I would only do it if I had a death wish. It was already difficult enough to get a date with her, only if I was the dumbest person alive I would ruin it over a kiss. Maybe she will never give me one, I'm alright with that.

Violet still has questions about my intentions with her, rightfully so. Looking around in this club, all I see are men who have deceived women in the past, tricking them into thinking they are in love with them. They give out empty love promises, sometimes to multiple women at the same time. In reality, all they want is to have fun and brag to their friends about how many women have felt for their tricks.