Box After Box

⚠️TW: Cursing (what did you expect), Disturbing imagery

???’s POV

The blonde flipped over the box and stuck in the key, they twisted it. A loud gunshot shot through my ears, it sounded close yet farther away. Following the scream was a shriek. I locked eyes with Plu as we both realized what this had started, that killer was now hunting us and must’ve shot someone. Reality finally set in; this is real, this is our lives, and we can lose them.

“Fuck, Fuck! What the hell did I just do?!” The blonde panicked, the dropped the box.

“Hey, chill, we’ll be fine, okay? What should we do?” The other guy pointed at the pond.

“It’s glowing, maybe we should um... we should go towards it,” He was right, there was a green glow in the pond. I shrugged off my jacket and jumped back into the pond, I swam down into the muddy, army green water not daring to open my eyes and just swimming towards the general direction of the turquoise glow. I went back up for air and looked around, I swam past it a bit but it was reachable now. So, I dove back down and went to the glow. I felt around and found there was a box, “I FOUND A BOX!” I shouted getting some of the most likely diseased water in my mouth, “Ew,” I spat it out.

I swam back down into the water; I grabbed the box and holy shit was it heavy. It must’ve been about 40 pounds and the gravity of the water was surely not helping. I let it drop and swam back up. “I need some help!” The other boy took off his blue coat and jumped in. He was scrawny too though, so he wasn’t going to be much help. His head popped up next to me and we went down into the water together, we grabbed the box and heaved it over to the shore using all of our might. We threw it up onto the shore and crawled out. I laid on my back, my arm muscles screaming in pain. I must not have worked out in a while. I stared up at the sky as I tried to catch my breath, the cool navy and deep purples of the night sky splattered with white dots. If this was any other day, I’m sure I would be ecstatic to see a sky as clear as this; but right now, I was fighting for my life.

“Was there a key?” Plu asked, snapping me out of my daze.

“No? Why?” I looked at the box. There was a metal lock on it, “Well shit.”

Plu sighed, “I’ll go in and get it.”

“Why don’t we just, you know, break it?” The other boy asked, he was sitting on the swam bank leaning back on his hands.

“Oh, yeah,” Plu jumped onto the box trying to break it. They stomped a hole into it but fell back onto their ass with their feet still in the box in the process, “That should do it.”

“That should also have broken your legs...and your back,” I pinched the bridge of my nose, “Anyways, what’s in there?”

“My feet,” Plu grinned, the blonde giggled.

I grabbed the box and ripped it off Plu’s feet, I stuck my hand in and instantly regretted it. The inside of the box was wet and sticky, not the type of thing you’d want to stick your hand into. I pulled my hand out. Swampy green goo oozed down my hand; it was vile. The smell was putrid, like shit and chemicals and vomit all wrapped up into one, truly disgusting gift. I pushed past the urge to puke up whatever was left in my stomach and stuck my hand back in. I felt around, squeezing and prodding at the green muck. Then my hand hit something different, I pressed my fingers onto it and felt the odd texture of it. It was like a baseball cap you’d left outside in the rain. I slipped my fingers underneath it and pulled it out.

It was difficult to see what it was in the dim lighting but it was a hat. “Really? I just swam though vomit water and stuck my hand into literal shit for a hat?” Then I looked closer, there was a small golden plate on it. Engraved into the plate was a name.

“Lucas.”

808 Words

~~~

Holy shit it's been a minute, sorry about that I've been having a rough time but it was nice to sit down and write for once. I should be doing this more since this is the only thing I can do besides work now that I'm in a special school for doing some stupid stuff. Anyways, I wonder what'll happen next?