NINE

Opening the door of the Great cabin, I am met by a relatively crowded deck. The crew of the Silent Mary is drifting over the main deck instead of below the ship for a change. I'm guessing it's because I've been absent for the past two days, thus giving them the chance to roam their ship freely as they please.

I don't recognize any of the faces as I descend the stairs of the quarterdeck, or not the one I'm looking for at least. In my hand is the sword. While the books are drying and the music box still is broken, there is but one activity left to keep me occupied - learning how to sword fight. And although I can ask Lesaro and Santos to teach me, I have the feeling that Magda would be the best candidate for that task. He seems strict and a bit of a perfectionist.

Searching through the ghostly crew members would seem like a great difficulty, but really it's not. It's easy to distinguish the officers from each other - especially when one's top part of his head is blown away, one is missing his arms, one is missing his legs, and another has nothing that connects his top body from the lower. And of course, there is one that is only a hat and an arm, the rest has been lost to the explosion.

I recall Magda being mostly intact, except for the gigantic hole blown through his torso, so that is what I'm looking for.

"Sorry... excuse me... pardon me..." I tell the crew politely on my way across the deck, keeping a sharp eye out for the officer in question. Where could he be? But then, from the corner of my eye, I catch glimpse of a figure drifting on the starboard side of the ship. After further observation, I spot the hole in their torso and smile, "Officer Magda!"

However, he ignores me. Instead, he proceeds to drift onwards and oddly keeps close to his fellow officers. My brows furrow when I realize what's going on. Is he deliberately trying to avoid me? Narrowing my eyes, I notice the officer in question moving in line with another, seemingly going out of his way to avoid being seen by me.

So he is trying to avoid me. Now that just won't do.

"Excuse me," my voice rises above the semi-silence on the ship, "But can anyone tell me if this is the correct way of holding a sword? I hold it with both hands, correct? And my thumb goes over the rain guard, yes?"

"Do not put your thumb over the rain guard!" I bite back a victorious grin when the familiar voice calls out, followed by Magda's ghostly figure heading straight for me, "Do you want to lose a finger?!"

"Of course, not," I tell him innocently, "But I would rather appreciate it if someone would teach me how to use a sword properly."

"Ask Lesaro."

"I'm sure Lesaro has his hands full with different matters. Besides," my mouth corners tug upwards, "I saw you battling the fog pirates the other day. Might I add, your form and technique are impeccable. Anyone would be lucky to be trained by you."

"Flattery won't get you anything," he scoffs before shrugging, "But furthermore, you are correct. Swordplay is my field of expertise."

"And I assume no man is a lost cause for you?"

"No man, indeed."

"Not even a woman?"

"Not even a woman... a... wait," Magda blinks from his prideful trance and gives me a look of utter betrayal, "You were baiting me! All this just so you can trap me into training you!"

A crowd of ghost officers has gathered around us while he was accusing me of luring him out - which, I admit, was the plan all along. And judging by the faltering determination in his eyes, I'd say it's working.

...

"Surely, you won't turn down a challenge while your fellow officers are present, Officer Magda," the girl's brows arch ever so slightly while she rests her hands on the hilt of the sword, "As you said, no man is a lost cause for you, not even a woman."