- Chapter 16 -

"This one's nice." Colby pointed to a ring under the glass display.

"It is." Rebecca nodded, "This one would look good on you."

Colby watched Rebecca point out a simple black band as she scanned the rest of the options. "Is there anything I can help the two of you with?"

A woman appeared behind the counter and looked at the two. Rebecca looked over at Colby as she held Chase against her chest while his head rested on her shoulder.

"Yes, actually. My fiancée and I would like some backup rings." Colby explained as he tried to weave their lie cleanly to avoid questions.

"I see." She smiled, "So I'm guessing you already have your rings, but these are for everyday wear?"

Colby nodded and gently grabbed Rebecca's hand for some added effect. "Exactly."

"That's smart. Surprisingly a lot of couples don't consider the option, but I think it's practical. If you look over in this section, we have some sturdy rings that are less expensive." She walked over to her left a touch, and the saleswoman opened the display to place a tray of rings on top of the glass.

"Just a simple band would work fine." Rebecca spoke up, "Something modest."

The woman nodded while looking through the shelves and Colby caught Rebecca looking around suspiciously. She hadn't been out since she thought she saw Riki, and he knew as much as Rebecca wanted to let on that she was fine, it was obvious to Colby that she wasn't.

Colby gave her hand a squeeze and caught her attention enough to look back at him. He leaned closer to her ear and whispered. "I'll make sure it's not much longer."

She just nodded subtly when she noticed the woman approaching. "We have these select bands that may fit your requests."

After some short browsing, they decided on some pretty simple and inexpensive rings. They'd be mementos after it all, but for now, it'd be one of their biggest lifelines.

While they strolled Chase down the sidewalks Rebecca kept glancing at the ring on her finger, and Colby couldn't help but try and find out what was on her mind. "What's wrong?"

She looked over at Colby and shrugged, "I dunno. It's just not how I imagined my first experience wearing a wedding ring would be."

"Understandable." He nodded, and Rebecca just shrugged again before he forged a follow-up question. "Is that a big thing for you? The idea of marriage and all that?"

"I don't think so. Not anymore, anyways." Rebecca sent him a half-smile, "It used to be something I'd think about... Back when I still believed true love was real."

She looked down at Chase, "Plus, now I'll have no time to go out and meet people. So this is probably as close as I'll ever get."

Colby watched her tap her thumb on the bar she was holding to push Chase with. "Did the whole thing with Ashley change your perspective?"

"Yeah... but at a pretty young age, I figured out life wasn't like the fairytales." She let out a long breath, "My parents got divorced before I was ten. It was for the better. They always fought."

Colby shoved his hands into his pockets. "My parents were... separated when I was pretty young too."

She looked at him curiously, "Was it mutual?"

He tilted his head from side to side. "Not exactly..."

She knew talking about families could be a touchy subject for anyone, so Rebecca didn't press on. The slight twitch in his expression was enough to tell her it was more of a story he'd rather not tell. She couldn't blame him. Her family had a lot more layers than just a simple divorce.

"I'd offer to dye my hair, but I figure it'd kinda get rid of the whole acting like everything's normal aspect of this whole thing." She pitched the fleeting thought that popped into her mind after a while of silence.

"You can if you want." Colby played the idea out in his head, "Isn't it normal for people to switch their colour up after a while."

"Yeah, I just haven't switched mine for years." Her laughs sounded empty, "What do you think would be better?"

"I don't know, maybe a blonde or brunette look for subtlety?" Colby shrugged and looked at her when she began laughing.

"No." She playfully jabbed his arm, "I meant, what course of action would be better? Dying it or leaving it the same?"

"Oh..." Colby chuckled, shaking his head. "It could work either way."

She rolled her eyes with a short laugh. "Are you always this indecisive?"

"Are you always a hypocrite?" He quickly rebutted, watching her with a smile.

"Hey, I can make the decision if need be." She stated as she moved the sun protector on the stroller over Chase so he couldn't wake up. "I was just looking for a second opinion. You know, seeing as I'm supposed to be following your instructions and all?"

Colby nodded, "Ah, so this is just my professional opinion?"

"You may be a professional detective, but I don't think you're a professional hairstylist." Rebecca pointed out, and he laughed.

"Okay, so this is my opinion for the sake of the case?" Colby clarified once again, watching her smile get smaller in the slightest.

Rebecca looked over at him for a second before she spoke. "Or an opinion from a friend."

Colby wasn't sure if she was a hard woman to get close to before the entire ordeal occurred, but she was definitely closed off during their time together. So hearing her try to open up so much, willingly, warmed something inside of him. "I like that better."

Rebecca smiled to herself with a nod. "Me too."