Prologue: Him.

-So? Any news?
-Not yet ma'. Look, I'm just as nervous as you are okay, I've been refreshing my page for the past 2 hours. When something comes up, I'll tell you.

She looked at me with a reassurance look. She then left the room leaving the door wide open, as usual.

-MA'! PRIVACY PLEASE.

She came back, and closed the door, rolling her eyes, but knowing how much I valued my time alone, having so many siblings to co-habitate with.

I took a sip of coke and closed my laptop for a few minutes. I was wearing a t-shirt with the logo of my school's soccer team. My brother had left to go to work, and so I took advantage of that time to conquer our room. I put some RodWave on and opened the window to let in the little breeze that came from outside. I tucked my shorts even more to let my skin breathe in all the areas. Damn, it was hot.

Sarah- Armon, what are you doing?

Here goes my little sister. Everytime she came back from the park, or literally anywhere, she would find any excuse to sneak in my room. That's how you live when you're the favorite brother I guess. Ha.

Me: Nothing, just chilling. Who did you go to the park with? Nath?

Sarah: Yeah, we bought some ice cream too. It's way too hot outside though, I'll probably go to the pool next time.

She always got something going on. I miss these days.

Me: Cool then, close the door when you leave, alright?

-Sarah: Mhm.
She knew what that meant when I said that. It means I want alone time. Which is almost all the time.

I resfresh my page one more time. Nothing.

I felt like I've been waiting my whole life for this moment. So many months, days, hours, minutes dedicated to this dream. My dream. I was sitting in my bunk-bed, the top one of course, my dark wavy hair tied up in a bun, trying to survive another heat wave. It seemed almost unreal to me, to finally be at the end of the tunnel. To finally be able to breathe. All the long nights I spent, studying, sacrificing on so many things, just to be able to say that I've made it. Well almost.

My mom was downstairs cooking something for diner. I figured it would be good to sneak outside for a walk to get my mind off things. I put on my slides, took my soccer attire and headed out. The sun was still shining on my tanned skin and highlighted my curly dark hair. I put on my headphones & passed by the departement store to buy some chips.

I didn't see Dad the whole day. During that time of the summer, we hardly see him as he is busy with his truck company. I usually spent a good part of the summer helping him, but I decided to take a break for august. I arrived to the soccer field of the neighborhood. It's pretty jammed up, but at least the net of the goal is still hanging. I played some tricks here and there and did some workouts to clear my head. As I was eating the rest of my lays, my phone rang.
Laura.
-Yo, where you at?
Me: At the soccer field. Wanted to get my mind off things. You're already off work?
-Yeah, a shitty ass shift, but made it through. You know I don't have a choice, gotta pay for college somehow.

That's my big sis. The eldest. She's in a journalism/communication major. Big personality, she thinks she's the head of the house. And she is in a sense. In her head. Ha.

Me: you always gather enough for the semester.

Laura: All eyes are on you right now, but don't worry, I'll make it, like I always do.

Ouch. Felt that.

Laura: any updates?
-Me: Nah, I'm heading home now. See ya there.

We lived in a pretty decent neighborhood. As in if you were lucky enough to come back home alive and well as a young black man, without taking a shot of stopped by the local police or perharps get involved in a fight, you were one lucky motherfucker. And I was one of them. I got used to this environement, but prayed and worked day and night to get out of it. I promised myself that I would never allow my family to live in those conditions, not after all I've been through. I strolled through the alleys of the appartement complex's, kind of in a hurry, but taking the time to absorb all the space around me. By the time I got home, the sun set, and the orange rays of light came through my small window, enlighting my desk and all of the hunged pictures I had of my friends.
-Yo.
-Hey Kev.
-Hey bro.
-Sup, Lau.
-Armon you want to play COD with me?
-Later, Sam, I'm tired.

Sarah was in her room, sleeping. I grapped the last hot dog that my mom made for dinner as she was preparing supper, and crashed in my bed. I drenched in sweat. I opened my laptop and refreshed it one last time before I was heading to the shower.

You have a new message.

My heart stopped.

-MA'! everyone!
Everyobody rushed in my room, surprised as hell.
-Mom: Moni, what, WHAT?

I turned my laptop in their directions. They all looked at each other with excitement and nervousness.

-Laura: finally. Do you want us to be there?
-Me: Of course, come on.
My mom couldn't say a word. I called my dad on facetime so that he could see our reaction at the same time. He looked tired, but hopeful.

I took a deep breath in, it smelled like a mix of my mom's cooking, my dirty laundry & Laura's strong ass perfume. I gave one last look to everyone before I opened the mail on the admission's page.

-Okay, let's go.

What followed was screams. Tears. But tears of joy. Hugs. Kisses, and especially smiles.

I got in. I did it. I got into medical school.
And I'm moving out in two weeks.