Chapter 2

Ravenpaw lapped up a few drops of the sparkling liquid of the Moonpool. Beside her, Kestrelflight did the same. She curled up in a comfortable position and closed her eyes.

"Hello, Ravenpaw." A black tom stood next to her. He had green eyes and sparkles in his fur, symbolizing he was a StarClan cat. Ravenpaw stood back, surprised. They both had the same black pelt, of the exact same shading.

"Who are you?" Ravenpaw was eager to meet this StarClan cat.

"My name is Ravenwing." The tom answered.

"Ravenwing?" Ravenpaw gasped. "But we look so alike, and we both have the prefix raven!"

"Indeed. I will walk in your dreams, Ravenpaw." Ravenwing purred. "We are connected."

"So, I'm not really alone," Ravenpaw wondered.

"Now, do you understand what the feather meant?" Ravenwing questioned, his green eyes gleaming.

"I have to follow it, don't I?" Ravenpaw guessed.

"You do." Ravenwing replied softly. "You'll meet dangers. When the moon is full again, you must leave. From now to then, you must train in hunting and fighting. You know enough about herbs to survive without a full medicine cat, but you will need to hunt your own food and fight your enemies. Two companions have already been chosen for you. You must meet them at the Moonpool."

A quest? Ravenpaw thought. I don't see it as a quest. I see it as an opportunity to leave WindClan, once and for all!

"I'll do it." Ravenpaw replied firmly.

"Good." Ravenwing dipped his head. "I'll be back in your dreams before you know it."

Ravenpaw closed her eyes, and when she opened them again, Kestrelflight was already awake and pacing, waiting for her.

"You have to go on a quest." Kestrelflight blurted.

"I know, Kestrelflight. Ravenwing told me." Ravenpaw reassured her mentor.

Kestrelflight gazed over her, his eyes bright. "You must go. But I wish you couldn't."

"Why?" Ravenpaw demanded.

"Because I can see the stars. My time is ending. WindClan must have a medicine cat, but you have your own destiny." Kestrelflight murmured.

"No!" Ravenpaw cried. Kestrelflight hadn't exactly been her friend, but they had bonded as mentor and apprentice should. Yet she still had felt alone.

Kestrelflight crumpled on the ground. "I leave you now, Ravenpaw. I can see your destiny now." He rasped.

"I have a few last words for you," he continued. "Ravenpaw, you are a strong cat. You feel alone, but on your journey, you will learn something. Just follow the feather." His eyes lost its light.

"Kestrelflight!" Ravenpaw gritted her teeth. His last words had been for her to go on the journey. So that's what she'd do. For Kestrelflight.

"We keep vigil for Kestrelflight tonight. He was a much respected and loved medicine cat." Crowstar spoke.

"May StarClan light your path, Kestrelflight." Ravenpaw whispered, before turning away. She wasn't worthy to share tongues with him.

After Kestrelflight had passed away at the Moonpool, Ravenpaw had ran down back to the WindClan camp. In grief, she had told Crowstar about what had happened in her dream, and what Kestrelflight had said. Then, she had ran into the medicine den, no, her den now, and shut herself there. Ravenpaw had only come out to pay her last respects for Kestrelflight.

"What shall we do now?" A wail cut through the air. Ravenpaw recognized the voice; it was Lilystream. "My kits will be born without a medicine cat!"

Of course. Ravenpaw thought bitterly. Lilystream only cared about her kits.

"Hush, Lilystream. Your kits will be fine. I've delivered a litter before; I can help you." Owlfur mewed to the queen.

"What will WindClan do without a medicine cat?" Mudface growled.

"We have Ravenpaw, don't we?" Tinypaw stood up for her.

Thank you, Tinypaw. But you didn't have to.

"Yeah!" Mosspaw agreed fervently.

"Ravenpaw? That cat is bad luck!" Stonetail argued.

"Yes, and she's right there!" Gorsepelt snarled.

"SILENCE!" Crowstar yowled. "WindClan will not be separated. StarClan has spoken to Kestrelflight and Ravenpaw. Ravenpaw will leave on a quest the next full moon. We will ask another Clan for a medicine cat, perhaps ThunderClan, they have two fully trained medicine cats, don't they?"

"I suppose so," Mudface agreed.

"One of the other Clan's medicine cats can train one of Lilystream's kits or Wolfkit." Crowstar went on. "Heathertail, organize a patrol to ask ThunderClan for help."

Heathertail nodded curtly.

"Ravenpaw must now learn warrior skills. I will mentor her myself." He paused. "Any objections?"

"Ravenpaw should be exiled!" Tornear caterwauled.

"Exile! Exile!" Gorsepelt chanted. To Ravenpaw's dismay, other cats joined in.

"Exile! Exile!" Stonetail and Mudface raised their yowls.

"Enough!" Crowstar ordered. "I can't believe you would turn on a Clanmate like that! Gorsepelt, Stonetail, Mudface! All three of you are back on apprentice duties."

Tigerflare, one of the elders, let out a small laugh at this. "They won't take to that very kindly," he warned.

"No, they won't," Grassheart twined her tail with her denmate and her mate.

"A leaders' word is the warrior code!" Crowstar flicked his tail for silence.

Mudface bared his teeth but didn't argue further.

"I'm sorry, Crowstar. But I don't want to cause argument within this Clan. I will leave WindClan when the moon is full and fulfill my destiny. We can talk about my fate after I get back." Ravenpaw couldn't stand the arguing anymore.

"Very well." Crowstar mewed coldly. "Have it your way. We'll be driving out a valuable Clan member, all because of you!" he directed the last yowl at Mudface and the others.

"WindClan will be weaker because of this," Heathertail added. "Think about what you have done."

Ravenpaw felt a tail on her shoulder. It was Tinypaw. "That must've been hard," she mewed sympathetically.

"It's okay," Ravenpaw begun, then stopped as a single black feather fluttered to the ground. She searched for the right words to say.

"My destiny starts here."